Polarity problem with old Hornby class 60 sound loco

Shedmaster 47

Hello folks, happy New year to you all ..

I am sorry if this question has been addressed elsewhere before ..

I have an odd problem with one of my old Hornby sound fitted block's..!!

It's a class 60 fitted with sound ( V3:5 ) I would be guessing....if I place it on the track with the front cab the same direction as my other locks it stops running after a short burst ( if it runs at all ) but the sounds won't work !! ....

If I lift it off the track and turn it end for end then try to run it ,all is fine ..

This happens all the time with this loco ..I bought it some time ago second hand without a body .so can't comment on the lighting circuit !!

Any ideas would be welcomed..

Many thanks

Allan

If it is an older sound-fitted decoder, it could be a Loksound v3.5 or v4. It may or may not help to know what you actually have there.

What system are you trying to control it with?

Can you read the manufacturer & model id of the decoder?

ESU's code is 151. I have just read a 3.5, which is model 59 & a v4 which is model 255

Hornby's manufacturer id is 48 & the only TTS decoder I have is model 132 

The PowerCab is usually pretty reliable at reading chip codes, so maybe you do have a decoder issue?

I know it is a pain but swapping it with one from another loco may show you where the fault is. Does it stay with the chip or the loco? I would start by moving the chip first. If there is a fault with the loco, I would expect it would have blown the chip not just stop it responding, but the chip would be less likely to damage the loco board.

The PowerCab is usually pretty reliable at reading chip codes, so maybe you do have a decoder issue?

I know it is a pain but swapping it with one from another loco may show you where the fault is. Does it stay with the chip or the loco? I would start by moving the chip first. If there is a fault with the loco, I would expect it would have blown the chip not just stop it responding, but the chip would be less likely to damage the loco board.

Thanks Peter.

I will check it out with another standard " non- sound " chip when I get a chance ..All the powercab says is

" unable to read decoder " ,I hit the enter button anyway and it says " wait " while trying to give me version number etc

Always the same result though ...

" unable to read " ....

Will change chips just for curiosity and see what happens ..thanks ..

Thanks Peter.

I will check it out with another standard " non- sound " chip when I get a chance ..All the powercab says is

" unable to read decoder " ,I hit the enter button anyway and it says " wait " while trying to give me version number etc

Always the same result though ...

" unable to read " ....

Will change chips just for curiosity and see what happens ..thanks ..

The symptoms sound exactly like the TTS problem of some time ago when a loco would obnly program and operate in one on-track orientation. The other way round itmwould be unresponsive.

The fix was a free reprogram by return to works Hornby.

This was the 8-pin TTS decoder though not the earlier ESU - usually 21-pin sound decoder Hornby used.

An R number of the loco could help ID the decoder.

Rob.

Just a thought: if the body was not the original one, the lighting in the cab modules may not be correct for the way Hornby wired the sound locos. For some reason, only theri sound locos (using the 21-pin ESU LokSound decoders) had positive return on the lights, while all other locos had negative return (from memory - maybe it was the other way around). What this meant is if bodies were swapped , one had to swap the cab interiors back to the chassis they started with otherwise the lights would not work. Further to that, is it possible the lights are causing a short in one direction? The ESU decoders do have a form of overload protection so will take themselves off-line if the short occurs.

With that in mind, try removing the cab interiors from the body and running the loco without them, then put each one in turn and try it.

Hi folks

Thanks for the advise ,it would appear that it's just one of those strange things with this loco ...the sound chip is a 21pin without the speaker wired direct ..

Curiously the PC board has the 21 pin SOCKET with the blanked off pin on the opposite corner to normal !!!!

Meaning that a 21pin blanking plug had to be inserted with the BLOCK facing DOWNWARDS!!......

if this is done , the loco works well on anlouge and faces the same direction as all other loco' s...!!!

THE LIGHTING CIRCUIT IS WIRED OPPOSITE TO NORMAL !! I placed a body from another class 60 I have onto this chassis ,only to find the lights won't work !!!

No worries; as I have fitted it with a Liam body anyway ( no lights ) ....

Thankyou for your kind replies ,but I will just have to make sure I place it on my layout the correct way around ,in this manner it works very well indeed with impressive sounds ...

Thanks again .

Allan

Hi Peter ..I assure you the mother board fitted to this " old" chassis is certainly fitted with a 21 interface ....it is NOT fitted on the underside at all !! Just that the missing pin on the mounting block is not in the standard place you would expect it to be ..this means that a blanking plug has to be fitted " upside - down " ....!!

Anyway ,not to worry ,it works that's the main thing .albeit apposed to all orher

" newer" models !!!!

That does not sound like an original class 60 installation.

I am not aware of Hornby fitting a 21 pin socket to anything & certainly not on the underside of the board.

All of the earlier Hornby non-TTS sound locos had 21-pin ESU decoders and PCBs set up for the 21-pin interface.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Thanks for the advise ,it would appear that it's just one of those strange things with this loco ...the sound chip is a 21pin without the speaker wired direct ..

Curiously the PC board has the 21 pin SOCKET with the blanked off pin on the opposite corner to normal !!!!

Meaning that a 21pin blanking plug had to be inserted with the BLOCK facing DOWNWARDS!!......

if this is done , the loco works well on anlouge and faces the same direction as all other loco' s...!!!

THE LIGHTING CIRCUIT IS WIRED OPPOSITE TO NORMAL !! I placed a body from another class 60 I have onto this chassis ,only to find the lights won't work !!!

Thankyou for your kind replies ,but I will just have to make sure I place it on my layout the correct way around ,in this manner it works very well indeed with impressive sounds ...

Thanks again .

Allan

just found this on the Hornby website.

Class-60-(Sound).pdf

Looks from the picture on page two that the decoder is indeed fitted upside down

Edited by beejack

Hi folks

Thanks again .

Allan

I have had two like this to, another Hornby Cock Up !!!   Charlie