Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Which sound project + speaker for Dapol Pannier - O guage

Piemanlarger

Having just picked up an O gauge Dapol Pannier, I was wondering what projects folks have choosen for their Dapol pannier and why?

Also what speaker choice and where have you placed your speaker (s)?

Mine is currently Dc  / 21 pin, though I have a Zimo Sound chip (class 37 !!) here to be re-blown which "may" influence choice of project?

However, its getting the best sounding project, which I presume means most recent, I would like some views on and then what Speaker to use?

Not had the body off yet but see from the instructions Dapol have space for a 28mm (i think) round speaker?

So far my utube searches have found:

Digitrains  (Tony Molyneux??)

South west Digital

Youchoose

Wheeltappers

Engineman

Jamie Goodman (Chinnor  Railway??)

Mr.Soundguy

Have I missed any?

Cheers

Having just picked up an O gauge Dapol Pannier, I was wondering what projects folks have choosen for their Dapol pannier and why?

Also what speaker choice and where have you placed your speaker (s)?

Mine is currently Dc  / 21 pin, though I have a Zimo Sound chip (class 37 !!) here to be re-blown which "may" influence choice of project?

However, its getting the best sounding project, which I presume means most recent, I would like some views on and then what Speaker to use?

Not had the body off yet but see from the instructions Dapol have space for a 28mm (i think) round speaker?

So far my utube searches have found:

Digitrains  (Tony Molyneux??)

South west Digital

Youchoose

Wheeltappers

Engineman

Jamie Goodman (Chinnor  Railway??)

Mr.Soundguy

Have I missed any?

Cheers

Hi Pieman,

If you're willing to use that Decoder for another project I would highly recommend the one by Paul Chetter for Minerva.

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/product/pannier-sound-kit/

I've posted in the following, refer to Posts #103 & #121

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122647-Dapol-o-57xx-8750/page-5

Note: Since the first post I've used the DCC Concepts 8 to 21-Pin Adapter, also the TCS KA4 Keep-Alive was actually a tight fit but It's fantastic.

Otherwise you can use the Digitrain's by Tony as I have one in my OO Branchline 64xx Pannier.

It's very good but I find Paul's to be in a class of it's own.

I've almost finished laying the track for my O-Scale Shunting Layout so I may post some work in progress shortly.

Edited by Bowie

Hi Pieman,

If you're willing to use that Decoder for another project I would highly recommend the one by Paul Chetter for Minerva.

It's very good but I find Paul's to be in a class of it's own.

Thank you for your answer, very interesting. May have to visit the Minerva stand Sunday @ Bristol?

Is Paul Chetter  " pauliebanger" on here?

Paul Chetter uses zimo sound decoders so there should be no issue using the decoder you have

Hi Richard,

From memory the sound project that Paul did is exclusive for Minerva and not available from other sources.

Also they only provide the Zimo 8-Pin MX645R, which would be a problem for Pieman if he has an Bachmann 37-Class which is 21-Pin hence my 'If you're willing' ;)

As stated on the Minerva Website 'We do not offer it for sale for use in any other manufacturers models, and using it in this way will invalidate the guarantee we offer'

That's the risk I was willing to take for Paul's Project and a 8 to 21-Pin adapter made it an easy install. :derisive:

Regards,

Bowie :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Update !

Decided to stick with zimo 645 for the pannier so installed the digitrains actidrive sound project today.

Tested with esu 4 ohm 28 mm (ish) speaker in its own enclosure.  Not impressed. Not enough bark / bass? 

Tested with digititrains 8 ohm 28 mm speaker which is made for the pannier enclosure.  OK sounds.

Tested with Supersound Long Bass Speaker.

Excellent sound with lots of bark and bass.

Possibly could get em2 fitted as chip is hard wired .

Tested with based reflex speaker.

Not as good as the above

Final position for chip tbc? Likely to stay just in front of the motor.

Will also test the above options with 2nd speaker options of  sugar cube or based enhanced 20x40 in bunker or cab ?

That's if I'm not too distracted doing the 72xx !!

• Informative/Useful 1