RMweb

Split worm wheels on Roco chassis

whart57

I took a thirty year (or more) old Roco NS Sik out of the hibernation cupboard where it has been for twenty five years (layout that never got built) and tried it on the MRC test tracks. Zilch. Cleaned up the pick-ups and it went an inch and then jammed. To cut a long story short it seems that the two worm wheels have both split and it's where the splits are that it sticks as they engage with the worms.

Anyone else experienced this? And where can spares be got?

• RMweb Premium

I took a thirty year (or more) old Roco NS Sik out of the hibernation cupboard where it has been for twenty five years (layout that never got built) and tried it on the MRC test tracks. Zilch. Cleaned up the pick-ups and it went an inch and then jammed. To cut a long story short it seems that the two worm wheels have both split and it's where the splits are that it sticks as they engage with the worms.

Anyone else experienced this? And where can spares be got?

For spares there are several options to try;

Contact Roco themselves,

Try asking Gaugemaster

Try searching on ebay - sutable terms would be Roco ersatzteile, Roco zahnrad, Roco schnecke

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi
All ROCO loco came with a part sheet . Here is were it can get intresting . Roco were well know for using the same part on several diffrent models. each model using the same part but diffrent part number. What this meant was some times you got sorry part no longer avaible. The fix was to work out which models had the parts . So If a first you can not get the part try this .The Sik had a long run with roco. I use to work at Howes fixing Roco models so got to know them well . Stoped doing that years ago .
Early gears UJ etc were made from hard plastic ,prone to splitting. I would say 20 years ago they started using a nylion based plastic and this fixed the problem .

John