CP Accident 4 Feb/2019

peach james

I was up in Banff on Friday and one of the trains I photographed was eastbound train 302, led by CEFX 1040 followed by UP 5359. I have seen photos of 5359 among the wrecked cars and have heard that 1040 was also involved.

Edited by jsp3970
  • Like 1

First of all sincere sympathy and prayers for all those involved in this tragedy. Difficult to follow sequences of events from this distance but am I right in thinking that there are TWO separate recent accidents - a derailment in the Spiral Tunnel in late January (shown under investigation on TSB site) and now a runaway and derailment into/near the Kicking Horse river in early February? (CJL)

Chris, you are right.  This is a 2nd incident, the first one resulted in cars derailing, I think between Lower and Upper Spiral.  CBC has been vague as to where the exact location of the current runaway/derailment is.    I suspect that we will have to wait until TSB make at least a preliminary report to see what has happened.  I thought westbound was uphill at that point, which would make it very interesting as to what happened.  

jsp, I believe you are correct, that those are the units/train that was involved.  

James

1 hour ago, peach james said:

I thought westbound was uphill at that point, which would make it very interesting as to what happened.  

James, overall, westbound is dowhhill, from the Continental Divide down to Field through the spiral tunnels. However, eastbound trains are actually travelling in a westerly direction and uphill at the point of the derailment , between the two tunnels. Since the derailment  is being described as a 'runaway', I think it has to have been a westbound going downhill. One of the first accounts I read (I can't remember where) said the crew had just taken over the train.  If that's the case, that presumably happened at Lake Louise. 

58 minutes ago, pH said:

James, overall, westbound is dowhhill, from the Continental Divide down to Field through the spiral tunnels. However, eastbound trains are actually travelling in a westerly direction and uphill at the point of the derailment , between the two tunnels. Since the derailment  is being described as a 'runaway', I think it has to have been a westbound going downhill. One of the first accounts I read (I can't remember where) said the crew had just taken over the train.  If that's the case, that presumably happened at Lake Louise. 

The train was a westbound heading down the 'Big Hill' into Field. Crew had indeed just taken the train over; I don't know where, maybe Lake Louise, maybe Stephen, which is the station at the top of the hill and can be accessed by a side road off the Trans-Canada.

UP 5953 is wrecked adjacent to the Trans-Canada, between the two spiral tunnels, while the lead unit(s) were at the exit of the lower spiral tunnel.

I thought the tunnels were on the east side of the summit, not west... doh !

It's not like there isn't plenty of mountain to go through- we've been that way & Crowsnest at least 6 times over the last 20 years...easy enough to get confused as to which summit the tunnels are at.    Once on a time, Ontario Science Centre had a beautiful N gauge model (probably maintained by one of my grand-father in laws) of the spirals...

James

Edited by peach james

So they reopened the line late Wednesday. Impressive considering the freezing conditions we are having right now.

One thing that did change was the location that the lead unit left the track. Initially they said it had derailed at the exit of the lower tunnel, now they are saying that it derailed after passing under the Trans-Canada, which is between the upper and lower tunnels. Honestly this location makes a lot more sense considering were UP 5359 ended up.

• Agree 1