14mm track gauges for modelling 3'6" lines in 4mm scale

outcastjack

12 hours ago, coline33 said:

Now, Red Devil, with your interest in Leeds I was expecting to see the 'Stanningley' transfer section from 18.83mm. to 16mm.!!!   That would be a first!!!   One for the Guiness Book of Records!   Looks extremely good so look forward to seeing more photos especially in use by standard Bradford cars and those Leeds and Bradford cars that could change gauge on the move.   However, my life is too short to convert my 'four-footers' from 16.5 to 16.   All the best, Colin.     

I'm on Sheffield now.....! Leeds is taking a back seat, but the 4ft stuff is Bradford, I have a trolleybus/tram layout idea......

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Red Devil, for update.   At this rate you will soon reach Rotherham - then Mexborough, Dearne and finally Barnsley and that is without 'what ifs'!!!   If you know of  other purists interested in 16mm. (for four-foot) and /or 21mm. (for Irish broad gauge) please let me know.   

Just announced first 'Recreation21' paved track sections for the 14mm. gauge tramways to give a straight, 204mm. radius curve, 250mm. radius curve and sections for a crossover which can be used for passing loops.   Now in the Shapeways shop.

• 1 month later...

The 34mm. chassis now adapted so has replaced the 16.5mm. gauge one in this Dudley & Stourbridge 'Tividale' car.   Runs well so have ordered the Recreation21 Flexi-track section to produce the individual sleepers to create prw as on the Kinver Light Railway.   I have a Peak Horse Hong Kong car arriving shortly for conversion to this mech.   So hopefully more to come.   

Tividale three quarter 16.6.2019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.   Track work.   I attach a view of the 14mm. gauge track sections in place for a paved passing loop with a stub terminal, entry to a depot or freight facility or just a plain 'cripple siding'!   The painted section was just to confirm which radius curve piece was to fill the gap.   All point work is biased without blades.   A production glitch, now overcome, has caused delay to adding the open reserved track section off the loop.

Rolling stock.   The 'Tennents Tividale' continues to work well on the 14mm. gauge  'tall motor' BEC mech.   A second BEC mech for it but with 'flat motor' is also now available and being 34mm. w/b will be tested under the 'P&D Marsh Tividale' kit just arrived and the Peak Horse Hong Kong car now stripped down.   The casting quality of the Marsh kit is better than that of the Tennents.   Now to develop a transfer set for the 'Tividale' in B&MTJC days.   With momentum gaining pace hopefully further updates in due course.   Colin.

OO-14 terminal layout a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know that the skeletal sections for creating ballasted 14mm. gauge track are now available in the "14mm. gauge" section of 'Recreation21' shop on Shapeways.   The sections are for straight, 2r curved and both left and right hand points.   Being skeletal makes for the creation of bridges as on the Kinver LR.

• 5 months later...

Hong Kong Tramways Ltd. now offer a souvenir model tram set in 1:76 scale on 14mm. gauge.   Alas the paved curved and straight track sections, which make up an oval circuit, are all plastic as the tram is self contained battery powered and remote controlled.   Like the prototype it is uni-directional but unlike the prototype the model does not reverse!   A tram shelter is also provided.   See their website, under souvenirs, for illustrations and if you wish to order.   I have a set hopefully arriving shortly for evaluation as to suitability to run with the 2-rail and OLE electrical circuits used for my Tividale and HK cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now received the set from HKT.   The track and wheel-sets are for 16.5mm. gauge so initial advice given to me about gauge was wrong.   Also the wheel-sets are not insulated.   However, it is a superb souvenir of the HKT trams and the remote control unit (supplied with a coin battery fitted) works well.   There is only one forward speed and the drive is on one axle.   The windows are blackened as the 2xAAA battery (not supplied) compartment and control gear do take up the entire interior of the double decker!   The tram is the standard 80m Models die-cast body with a plastic chassis.   The only down side I found was that the tram station provided does need to have an additional base to raise the pavement platform above the road surface.   Good value for money, including air mail, even if you were to be charged extra by HMRC.   Whether I convert it to 14mm. gauge as I did with the Peak Horse model or just have it running on the plastic track or as I have found it runs on RTR 00-gauge track but its finer flanges do not like point work frogs!   Basically conversion would not be so easy and straight forward as with the Peak Horse version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the OP wanted street track. For those interested in UK, etc., narrower gauged trams, I'm just finishing up a grand union as part of a broad model tram track system that cosmetically in 4mm scale is 3ft 10" gauge, but operates with at least Bachmann and Roco RTR 16.5 mm HO wheeled model trams unmodified.

I'll put the details on the Tramway Topics section of RM Web soon.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert
Wrong topic for pictures

Andy, in 4mm. scale 16.5mm. gauge equates to 4' 1 1/2" prototype so ignoring the one and a half inches I operate trams from the UK's four foot gauge systems on that gauge.   The four-footers are almost as wide as those prototypes used on standard gauge.   With the introduction of the BEC Feltham kit in the 1960's, I found the frontal view on 16.5 made the car badly look narrow gauge!   So with help from Mike Trice, I produced a Feltham running on 18.83mm. and it looked perfect but Frank Vescoe decided against spending time on making a P4 mech for his kits.   The present P&D Marsh Tividale kit is very much true to a 3'6" gauge car and a 16.5mm. mech needs extra filing of the body to avoid distortion to the car width as I found on constructing my Potteries Electric 125 (four-footer).   My 3'6" Black Country versions have 14mm. gauge mechs which fit perfectly - these mechs are also available for 14.2mm. gauge from KW Trams.   I am currently watching the development of O-14 sleeper track for availability, to use under a layer of ballast (as per Kinver LR) for 4mm. scale use.

1929624916_cobble6500.jpg.0baffaea51ab8247d7d89c40bb73fefa.jpg

It's probably confusing without diagrams, but I'm talking about a comprehensive tram track system that lets HO 16.5 mm gauge RTR tram mechanisms run unmodified.  It's not obvious to the operator what the actual dimension between rails is.

Andy

Andy, as one who has inter-mixed HO MTS American cars with HO European and OO British models, I know where you are coming from, an aspect that I was confronted with in the early 1960's on setting up the TLRS extension into small scale modelling with its Sub-Seven Modelling section.   Compromise has always been catered for as well as purism for which this thread was developed for 3'6" gauge in 1;76 scale.   My New Zealand friends had the same problem in using commercially available items so went for 1:64 scale for purism and HO for compromise, several having a love for the Hong Kong double deckers for which there is a fleet of 1:76 scale tram models available with 16.5mm. gauge wheel sets.  

Outcastjack was right in raising this thread on track gauges for 14mm. for the purist to correctly run Hong Kong tram models and I have easily motorised one of these commercially available HK models to run on the 14mm. gauge street track sections now available.   Now I can give an update on O-14 sleeper track.   The first produced section has been tested and there is an unacceptable level of brittleness to be resolved before any further moves.   I hope a compromise can be evolved between scale and durability so that for 1:76 scale we can have fully ballasted to rail level track.

As I am using 'Tividales', being a Black Country area standard single decker, I am wanting to use the Kinver style 'open' track over which the prototype worked.   The Kinver line used normal rail, hence double deck cars were prohibited, unlike other UK systems' reservations where grooved tram rail (or check rail use) had to be used throughout to permit double deck operation under the regulations in force at the time.  The Kinver line was originally ballasted to a level that just exposed the railhead above the web.  From images I have seen the ballast appears to have been originally at rail top level on the boarding/alighting side at its intermediate stop but which in time condensed.   Being so rural with little business there I doubt whether the level was ever restored!   I started 16.5mm. tramways with Hamo RTR paved track in 1959 joined to commercial railway track then on to include Rivarossi RTR paved track.   Over the following decades, I have gone through the processes of various methods of producing tram track and followed those including yourself developing packs to help modellers build their own.   I am one who likes to spend what limited time I have making and running the cars as true as possible to 1:76 scale hence my interest in Outcastjack's question on track gauges.   With the advance of 3D printing, I am all for aiding anyone who is progressing a flexible 14mm. gauge railway track base including point work irrespective if it being for any other scale.               

• 2 weeks later...

I have developed my 14mm. gauge test track from just track sections to being mounted on a spare board.   Note the depot pit.   Then to add buildings from the Alphagraphix Edwardian Depot and Extension card kits plus a scratch-built shelter.   Just needs boundary walls and gate plus a background, on the left, to be added to complete.   That is Hong Kong No.11 appearing at the depot entrance.   This car is a Peak Horse model motorised on a KW Trams 34mm. wheelbase mechanism.

OO14 test track a.JPG

OO14 test track c.JPG

• 3 years later...

I am downsizing my modelling interests.   In 4mm scale, only my London trams will remain so I have available for disposal all the 14mm gauge 'Recreation21' track panels without any code 100 rails.   If anyone is interested in having them before they go to the skip, please send me a message.

1 hour ago, coline33 said:

I am downsizing my modelling interests.   In 4mm scale, only my London trams will remain so I have available for disposal all the 14mm gauge 'Recreation21' track panels without any code 100 rails.   If anyone is interested in having them before they go to the skip, please send me a message.

1 hour ago, coline33 said:

pm sent.

• Thanks 1