0-4-0ST Locomotive by Roscoe of Little Hulton

This thread deserves more attention, and ought to be of interest to readers of 'standard gauge industrial'. 

Has anyone got access to Townley, Peden et al's book about Manchester Area Colliery Railways, which may, or may not, mention the loco?

Does anyone have the relevant IRS handbook?

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

I've just had a quick look in my copy of Peden et al's Part2 Manchester coalfield (p 318-21 & p332)and can find no record of a loco called Willie at New Lester Colliery.  James & William Roscoe are listed as the owners of Peel Hall, New Lester and associated collieries from c.1850.  Five locos are listed as working there:

0-6-0ST IC MW 76/1863 Old class I second hand @ unknown date.

Lord Kenyon 0-6-0ST IC HE 289/1884 new scr.c.1910.

3 similar 'Ship Canal' type 0-6-0T IC purchased new HE 720/1900, 953/07, 1151/1914.

Hope this helps and sorry that it may not be what you wanted to hear. Interesting to see the drawing even if it doesn't portray an actual loco, and it deserves to go to a good home.

Ray.

As I suspected.

My hope is that this is a previously unknown/unrecorded loco, built locally, used locally, scrapped locally, and forgotten. Such things do still turn up from time to time.

But, it may equally be either a post-rebuild drawing of something that Roscoe bought-in and refurbished (but what? the inside cylinders on an 0-4-0ST are pretty rare), or a speculative design that never came to anything.

I've put the question to IRS experts who live locally, so they might be able to delve more deeply.

• Like 1