London Transport Wagon numbering

muswellmetro1

i have three LT pannier and want to model a few more London Transport wagons but there is a dearth of LT RTR wagons. and even fewer photos, i have only found one or two in months of searching, (see screen dumps) RTR are all BW Ballast Wagons, this appears to be a pre 1907 RCH wagon (8 or 10 tons next to a 1907RCH wagon SL932 or is it L932, i assume SL for Steam loco or could it be a faded SW (Stores Wagon) with L for loco. Has anyone any other detail of the LT and MET Rly numbering system, i have see TW ?? track waste or train Waste. They had a resonable small fleet of dark grey 7 plank coal wagons Any ideas of links would be helpful

2019-02-21 (5).png

l53.jpg

In addition to getting Jim’s book (which no Met enthusiast should be without) you may find ‘Workhorses of the Underground’ by J Graeme-Bruce (Capital Transport 1987) of interest. It covers locos, track machines, pilot motors etc, and wagons. There is a list of LT service stock in the book.

It is out of print currently.

Natalie

Jim Snowdon's [Wild Swan] book on Met Rolling Stock is the bible. The SL and A wagons were open wagons - the SL being five plank slurry wagons and the 6 plank being Ash wagons used for removing stuff from the old Neasden power station. Most of the Met wagons were passed to the LNER after the formation of London Transport in 1933 so the survivors were those required for LT's engineering services such as the Ballast Wagons [BW], Ash and Slurry wagons. In general the 3plank BW were retained by LT but the larger 4/5 plank BW went to the LNER.

After 1933 various new LT flat wagons in 10T and 30T [ diamond bogie] form [often built by GRCW] were incorporated in engineer and spoil trains. These usually had an F prefix with serial numbers in the 300 series. They are both available in 7mm scale from Radley Models though only the 30 ton wagon is available in 4mm. Both these flat wagons types are actually 3-4 plank drop side wagons with removable sides. Hence the longer ones were also used as rail wagons.

Edited by Arun Sharma

On 23/02/2019 at 21:16, Arun Sharma said:

Jim Snowdon's [Wild Swan] book on Met Rolling Stock is the bible. The SL and A wagons were open wagons - the SL being five plank slurry wagons and the 6 plank being Ash wagons used for removing stuff from the old Neasden power station. Most of the Met wagons were passed to the LNER after the formation of London Transport in 1933 so the survivors were those required for LT's engineering services such as the Ballast Wagons [BW], Ash and Slurry wagons. In general the 3plank BW were retained by LT but the larger 4/5 plank BW went to the LNER.

After 1933 various new LT flat wagons in 10T and 30T [ diamond bogie] form [often built by GRCW] were incorporated in engineer and spoil trains. These usually had an F prefix with serial numbers in the 300 series. They are both available in 7mm scale from Radley Models though only the 30 ton wagon is available in 4mm. Both these flat wagons types are actually 3-4 plank drop side wagons with removable sides. Hence the longer ones were also used as rail wagons.

There area also a couple of L.T. vehicles among the handful of wagon kits that Southeastern Finecast produce.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2019 at 10:08, jim.snowdon said:

I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Metropolitan Railway Rolling Stock, authored by me and published by Wild Swan c.2000. The later chapters cover the Met's goods stock and its eventual disposal to either London Transport or the LNER.

Jim

Thanks Jim. i purchased a copy of your book off ebay and it has all my needs, nice book to read as i remember T stock