1931 renumbering

Jan W

Does anyone know if all sr locos were renumbered in 1931 or was this done slowly in a number of years?

The reason I ask is that I'm building an O class loco which was withdrawn in 1932.

Would it have received the 1 or is it likely that it retained the A until withdrawal?

Layout will be set in 1932.

Jan

15 hours ago, Jan W said:

Does anyone know if all sr locos were renumbered in 1931 or was this done slowly in a number of years?

The reason I ask is that I'm building an O class loco which was withdrawn in 1932.

Would it have received the 1 or is it likely that it retained the A until withdrawal?

Layout will be set in 1932.

Jan

Quite likely retained the 'A' prefix until withdrawal as it would have been low priority for renumbering - UNLESS the number itself clashed with a Western Section loco which could have appeared in the same area when someone MIGHT have twigged ! ( KIng Arthur numbers were higher than any SER locos but there were 4-4-0s on loan at times.)

That seems logical.

And thinking a bit further, a new number would fix the operating period of the loco to 1931/1932.

Using the A prefix gives an operating period of 1923 (if it was renumbered and repainted immediately after grouping...) to 1932.

Choice is obvious I think.

Jan

17 hours ago, Jan W said:

That seems logical.

And thinking a bit further, a new number would fix the operating period of the loco to 1931/1932.

Using the A prefix gives an operating period of 1923 (if it was renumbered and repainted immediately after grouping...) to 1932.

Choice is obvious I think.

Jan

Looking at Bradley last night, though exact renumbering dates are not given for Os/O1s it seems to be at least a couple of years between introduction of a new livery and application to the last loco - remunbering would probably be in the same ball park.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Related to this, I have a few questions.

Firstly, would E312 (an LSWR T9 that I believe was transferred from the S.W. division) have been transferred Eastwards before the renumbering?

Next, did any S15s (Maunsell-Built ones) run in Unlined SR Black with an 'E' number?

In the case of tank engines, I'm thinking specifically of the recently released Hornby A1x, would the number on the rear of the bunker (if there was one) read '662' or 'B662'?

In the case of engines in Pre-Grouping Liveries, where was the letter prefix added? I'm thinking of an LBSCR Umber E4 here.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Those T9s ( etc ) which ran on the S.E. swapped back and forth a number of times - they were principally over here for the summer peaks .........the 'Book of the T9s' might be able to assist with renumbering dates.

Not sure about the S15 without my library to hand.

Before the introduction of the 1931 number series the bunker / tender rear number was on a brass plate - which DID show the prefix.

Any loco which received a 'prefix' number on a pre-grouping livery would probably have been done on shed - unless it retained particularly good paintwork when called into works for some other reason ........ so the exact style of renumbering might have varied from shed to shed - or even loco to loco. As ever, a contemporary photo would be invaluable. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2019 at 23:47, sem34090 said:

Next, did any S15s (Maunsell-Built ones) run in Unlined SR Black with an 'E' number?

In the case of tank engines, I'm thinking specifically of the recently released Hornby A1x, would the number on the rear of the bunker (if there was one) read '662' or 'B662'?

IIRC all S15s were in finished in Olive Green pretty much from the start (a few Uris ones did get the SR black with green lining goods livery shortly after grouping but this was rapidly changed given the extensive use of the class on passenger workings).

As far as bunker numbering, up until the 1931 changes the number was contained within a cast oval number plate (the same as fitted to the cab sides of tender locos*).

As part of the changes this cast plate was replaced with painted numerals - so you would not have seen ‘B662’ - only 2662 in painted numerals or the cast numberplate contains B662.

* The rear of tenders similarly used cast number plates up until the 1931 changes, when they also got ditched in favour of painted numbers.

• Thanks 1