Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Forum emails

Many months ago and long before the upgrade of the site the previously excellent timing of emails informing me of threads I follow having new posts started to deteriorate and I posted about the subject at that time - regrettably I can’t find that thread.

I am finding that the performance is becoming steadily worse and even more variable - I have just had an email telling me a post has just been made to a thread and when I check the post I discover it was actually posted last Thursday! This is a tad longer than most take to arrive but a day or more is not unusual though bizarrely some arrive within 10 mins. The majority are in the 30mins to 1hr period.

presently the emails are totally unreliable and I wonder when we can get back to the excellent standard of service that we used to get?

• 2 months later...

@AY Mod I wonder when this email issue is going to be resolved? I am getting email informing me that replies have been made to threads 18 hrs ago, which is far too late to respond sensibly to the comment - especially when several other people may have responded in the intervening period.

used to be good, not so now and this may be why the volume of forum use in some areas has dropped off significantly since the 'upgrade'

• RMweb Gold

Hi Iain,

Have you tried enabling the desktop notifications?

I realise they are not quite the same as the emails but they do a similar job, informing you almost in real-time of events you're interested in by going "bong" and showing a small summary box on screen. And if you were away from the computer at the time, the notifications you missed are signalled by a red blob on the notifications (bell) icon at the top of RMWeb and the events you missed are highlighted in the dropdown list.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I have this on my desktop at home but that doesn’t work on my work computers or phones, hence the preference for email as it used to be :)

The notifications could be enabled on your non-home devices. So is there a reason why you don't want to do that?

(Just trying to understand.)

The policies that we use within where I work severely limit the ability of websites to do anything other than service webpages, and even at that there is a server restriction - for extremely good reasons - on what websites can be viewed as well.

Trust me, there are valid reasons why we lock down systems ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

The policies that we use within where I work severely limit the ability of websites to do anything other than service webpages, and even at that there is a server restriction - for extremely good reasons - on what websites can be viewed as well.

Trust me, there are valid reasons why we lock down systems ;)

OK, thanks. I guessed that might be the issue.

So wanting the emails to work promptly is entirely understandable.