Traverser alignment using Hornby Dublo Weltrol wagons underneath?

Jenny Emily

I've spent the last few days constructing the fiddleyard section for 'Grove Street Yard' and have been having immense difficulty with the four road traverser. I've built the bed, but am having difficulty getting it to slide freely and maintain accuracy at either end for trouble-free alignment. I've used some old runners from some defunct drawers, but they just don't seem to work. They sit okay on one end, but the end that the tracks run onto the traverser from has proved impossible to fit the runners to.

I have, however, just had a brainwave, and wanted to float the idea to see whether anyone has tried something similar and whether there are any big pitfalls that might stop it working. The idea is to run a short trackbed with code 100 track on at right angles beneath the end of the traverser. I have some old and very playworn Hornby Dublo Weltrol wagons, and my thoughts were that with a block of wood screwed to the underside of the traverser bed, that block could sit comfortably within the well of the wagon, effectively locking it to the underside of the traverser bed. It could then roll from side to side on the short length of track, guiding the traverser above it with it. This would remove the problems I have faced with the drawer runners protruding too far either side of the traverser bed and causing fouling.

The Hornby Dublo Weltrol wagon is a very robust toy. It is a solid metal casting, and sits on metal bogies with sintered iron wheels held by metal plates with holes to take the ends of the axles. Given the weight of the traverser, even if loaded up with stock, isn't massive, I wager that it will take the weight and still roll freely enough. The metal wheels will also prevent the wheels from distorting over time. If it works, I'm tempted to do the same at the other end to replace the lacklustre drawer rollers which are a pain to keep aligned and protrude too far for my liking either side.

Has anyone tried a similar method for traverser operation? Can anyone see any flaws that I might need to be wary of? In my mind it seems a better method than old desk drawer runners.

Jenny,

Have a look at eldavo's layout topic CRAMDIN YARD, he has got a traverser on the front of that layout that looks like it might fit your format.

Kev

Yes, I've read that topic with interest. His traverser at the front of the layout is more of a scenic feature. I won't have the 'remote control' of mine using threaded rods and motors. However, I knew there was somewhere I'd seen something similar used (and no surprise that real traversers run on track and wheels!)

Being a fan of the ball bearing drawer runners for traversers and their relative ease of use - I do not understand what the problem is that you are encountering. All traverser runners must be fitted parallel so that the board runs smoothly without binding - this is no different if you use track or integral system. I would be worried about the wagon derailing simply being knocked off the rails as traversers tend to be quite heavy and rarely in balance. Personally I would also think that the wagon/track idea would be even more difficult to set up.

Just in case you are not using these runners this is what they look like

quintland002.jpg

If it is practical, you may be better off by using "computer drawer" runners. These have ball bearing slides and hold the traverser firmly but slide freely. They have slotted mounting holes and so are adjustable. Although they are intended to be mounted upright, I have used them mounted "flat" without any problems. They aren't cheap but work effectively.

Edit - Kenton beat me too it! I stopped halfway to make a cuppa.

You're probably right. The Weltrol would most likely have too much lateral movement because of the fact it can slide a little from side to side with slack between the flanges and the rail, and the wooden chock within the well. The main reason I wanted to use what I've got instead of buying parts is to keep with the minimum cost theme that 'Grove Street Yard' was built with. I may look again at the drawer runners, though the ones I've got came off an office type desk and mounted on the side/bottom of each drawer.

If all else fails, I'll see what my Father can rustle up on his milling machine (as my woodworking takes place in the same workshop that turns out 4" miniature traction engines, so a little metalworking oughtn't pose too much of an issue).

Thanks for the replies.

• RMweb Gold

I'll add another vote for the ball bearing drawer runners.

I picked mine up from scew fix. I think you can get them for about £5 a pair.

My traverser is over 9' long and runs off 2 pairs.

Another plus point for them is that being all metal construction they are ideal for supplying the track feed to the rails on the traverser.

Archived