RMweb

Hornby Pullman rake

Hi I’m wanting to put together a rake of Hornby Pullman coaches. Can I ask does the first class kitchen car ‘minerva’ go with the third class parlour car No 34 as in the pictures on trackshack.
Any advice will be appreciated, forgive me if this is in the wrong section as I’m still finding my way around the forum.

How accurate do you want to be?  What period are you modelling?

Both are K class Pullmans of similar age.

These two Pullmans are interesting because they were both modified for use on the Golden Arrow in 1951/2, in which they were flush-plated and given square toilet widows to match the then new U Class Golden Arrow Pullmans, Minerva becoming a Guard Parlour - so both were not as modelled shown on trackshack after 1951.

Car 34 is in immediate post WW2 condition late 1940s to 1951, and was used on the Devon Belle.

Minerva was damaged in WW2 and I'm not entirely sure when it became a GP, but assuming that dated from 1951also then both could have run together as shown in late 1940s.

Hello Forester and thanks for the informative feedback. I don’t want to be to accurate as I just want to put together a nice Pullman rake. There are another two Pullman carriages on the trackshack website, would these also be put together or not.

If you want an all Pullman set with traditional cars like the K type, then here's a simple formula:

Brake end 3rd parlour car with the brake end at the outside end of the train.

Pairs of kitchen+parlour cars. Often with the kitchen section neatly arranged in the middle of the pair. The first class cars typically grouped together, and about a third of the train first class, remainder thirds.

Brake end 3rd parlour car with the brake end at the outside end of the train.

If you want an odd number of coaches in the train (often looks best), add another kitchen car.

The Pullman concept in the UK was a travelling restaurant, with full at seat dining, silver service from uniformed waiters. The specific arrangement of cars varied according to service needs, with as many kitchen vehicles as were necessary for efficient service, especially on shorter journeys.

• Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, Ivor_harley said:

Hello Forester and thanks for the informative feedback. I don’t want to be to accurate as I just want to put together a nice Pullman rake. There are another two Pullman carriages on the trackshack website, would these also be put together or not.

Argus and Car 58 are shown.

Both are K Type Pullmans like the previous two. Strictly speaking the kitchen window on Argus was cut to half size in height in the late 1940s, not as shown.  Apart from that both are shown in early post-war wood-panelled conditon with appropriate matching crest.

Good for running together and with Minerva and Car 34 until those two were rebuilt.

Divergence from the condition modelled occured in 1959 when Argus was flush plated to a more modern look and was used as an extra on the Golden Arrow when needed,

Similarly Car 58 had the upper half flush-plated around 1958 so would also have looked a little different after that.

Car 58 spent most of its time on the Eastern Region, while the others were mostly Southern.

But in general you can run them happily together. Best to use BR early crest locos, unless you are in the Big Four era.