SMD 84 & ECoS ESU 50200

CEG

Can anyone please direct me to or  assist with some specific advice on the above?

I am trying to programme a SMD84 with a ECoS ESU 50200. (I have 3 of  SMD 84's and 24 switches to control).

I have downloaded the latest Team Digital manual but it is proving very difficult to understand. 

I read on separate post that you should follow the decoder instructions, but they are very difficult to understand and correlate with the display on the ECoS.

Any guidance and/or direction would be very much appreciated.

Colin

You need to be more specific about what you're trying to do, as the SMD84 manual is long, with many options.

However, at the very basic, using the SMD84's "Smart Programming", you need the following:

To perform Smart Programming, the command station needs to issue turnout commands.  So, at the ECoS, create a turnout on the display, and allocate it the number of the first (of the eight in the SMD84) that you wish to use for that board.  

Now, put the SMD84 into "Smart Programming" mode by pressing the button on the SMD84.   Back at the ECoS, operate the turnout, either to the "straight" direction or the "thrown" direction depending whether your motors are solenoid or stall motors (Tortoise, etc.).

Press the "Smart Programming" button again for a second or so, to exit programming. 

That should have eight outputs working on eight sequential addresses.    Anything else is a bit more complex, but follows a similar pattern. 

Your alternative is to program it on the main (in Ops Mode) when the SMD84 behaves as a loco, on loco address 1 (unless you change that address, which will be needed if you've got three of the devices, see section 4.10 to set this).   That requires you enter CV programming on the ECoS to do programming on the main line (Ops Mode), and then adjust CVs as per the Team Digital manual.

- Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is as Nigel describes a bit complex at first but once you get the gist is robust!

What point motors are you using? If stall motors (tortoise etc) then you need to start off with all your turnouts on ECoS displaying a thrown aspect and move them back to straight. If solenoids then start with a straight aspect and move to thrown

Hope that helps! If not happy to talk you through it...

Phil

Nigel and Phil,

Thank you both very much for your response.

The switches I am trying to control are Hornby solenoid type.

By following the first section from Nigel's response, I managed to get 9 switches operating, (the first output on the second decoder!), however, I must have forgotten to press the button on the SMD 84 or pressed it too many times, but I now seem to be stuck. 

I can not get output number 10, (second output on the second decoder board) to operate.

How do I ensure I am issuing a programme control direction to output 10, and then re-continue the sequential order?

I read on another post somewhere that you hold the SMD 84 button down for 18s to re-set? Is that correct?

Colin

If its not working, or you've stepped outside the sequence for one board, suggest a reset of that board.    Then re-do the programming for the second board, aiming to get the eight sequential addresses in one hit.    As you got the first board working, clearly your original process works, its just a matter of repeating it, and repeating carefully.   Pressing the "smart" button for the wrong length of time might knock the SMD84 into a different one of its several programming modes. 

Given the flexibility of the user interface on the ECoS to arrange turnouts and track diagrams to mimic the track on the layout, I think sequential numbers for each turnout on the SMD84 is likely to be a simple solution.  

The SMD84 manual has this in it:

4.01 Reset the SMD84 to factory defaults

To “reset” the SMD84 to factory defaults, turn power on and wait until LED 1 turns off. Then press the “Smart” button and

continue to hold the button down (at least 16 seconds) until both LED 1 & 2 are alternately flashing.

• Like 1

Nigel and Phil,

By following the first section from Nigel's response, I managed to get 9 switches operating, (the first output on the second decoder!), however, I must have forgotten to press the button on the SMD 84 or pressed it too many times, but I now seem to be stuck. 

I can not get output number 10, (second output on the second decoder board) to operate.

How do I ensure I am issuing a programme control direction to output 10, and then re-continue the sequential order?

I read on another post somewhere that you hold the SMD 84 button down for 18s to re-set? Is that correct?

Colin

Nigel,

Thank you again for you very quick response .

I have now managed to get all 24 switches working and operational  from ECoS via the SMD 84. 

A couple of points to share;

1. It is much easier to create all switches (in my case 24) on the ECoS in advance, a lot less to remember.

2. I found it necessary to press the programme button to "enter" and "exit" programme mode each time a switch was assigned.

3. When you lose track of the sequence or make an error in the assigning of switches and you have to re--set the SMD 84,you have to press and hold down the programme button for much longer than 16 seconds. It is important that you hold the button down until LED 1 & 2 flash alternately for a few seconds to ensue the SMD 84 is properly reset.

Thanks again for you very valuable and timely assistance.

Colin

Nigel and Phil,

Colin