Southern Pride "2-HAP"

I'm trying to build a Southern Pride 2-HAP kit which will be an unpowered "brake runner" to go with my MLV during the short drivers dispute of the mid 80s over braking issues when they ran solo.

I seem to be struggling somewhat with the bogie arrangements.  It's my first SP kit, and probably the most complex kit that so far I've tried.  Apologies if, therefore, this is a stupid question.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach the unpowered bogies to the bottom of the chassis.  I can see there's a hole for a small bolt which goes through the chassis, but the "fish" shaped hole on the bogie must have something that it attaches to that goes around the bolt which would be glued to the bogie and then secured with the nut - and I've read the instructions several times and looked at all the bits and can't seem to locate what I think I'm looking for.  Without some sort of spacer then the wheels are rubbing the bottom of the chassis.

I am guessing that this is a fairly universal arrangement on most Southern Pride kits so has anyone got past this stage that can help me find the solution please?  The rest of the kit seems to be "attach this bit to this bit" and I am fairly sure that I can get through that, but this fundamental thing seems to be stumping me completely.

20190402_135313.jpg.46dfc93f61fcc96b40a702840c5917ed.jpg

Hi,

I haven't built one of their EMU kits (I've got some of the their DEMU kits to do).

One suggestion would be to make a bush out of a piece of plastic tube and add washers top and bottom of the bogie to hold the bush in place and get the ride height correct.

Or you might be able to glue a piece of plasticard with a smaller hole on top of the bogie to suit the Southern Pride bolt.

I suspect Southern Pride have changed bogie supplier at some stage.

I think the bogie supplied may not be quite accurate as I think those HAPs that didn't have commonwealth bogies had single bolster BR bogies - which may be  as fitted to the Bachmann 2-EPB or the type fitted to the Bachmann 4-CEP which have additional springs or dampers. Unfortunately I don't think either type is available in Bachmann general spares - could ask them if they would sell them.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK
spelling correction

The bogies are the ones that came with the kit when I bought it about a year ago (I've finally got round to making a start) so I would assume that all the bits I require should be in the box.  Being a DEMU you wouldn't have the pickups as the HAP should have however I would have assumed that there might have been some sort of commonality when it comes to attaching unpowered bogies to the underframe.

I've never attempted a kit this complex before as painting always lets me down but having the pre-printed sides made it much more palatable; good luck with your kit and hope to see pictures of it at some point.

I'm wondering if the bogie in the picture is a Bachmann product, as they have exactly the same "fish" hole arrangement - a moulding on the chassis fits into the "tail" to act as a limiter to rotation.

As NIK suggests, use some plastikard on top of the bogie to make a spacer so the wheels don't rub the chassis, with perhaps another piece underneath to secure the nut against. You may need a strong glue such as Plastic Weld to stick to the bogie plastic.

I'll be interested to see this project develop - many years ago I made four SP Mk1 Pullmans (prior to the Bachmann models). They took me an age, but I was very pleased with the outcome if that doesn't sound a bit conceited!

John.

You are right, I've just dug a Bachmann Mk 1 out of my stock box and they do have the same arrangement, although the Bachmann name isn't stamped on the bogies anywhere.  The bolt supplied with the kit certainly fits in the "tail" smaller part of the fish shape however I can't see how it might secure it.  I think you're right that some squares of plasticard as spacers and suchlike will suffice, however it seems a bit of a "bodge" job and given the quality of the rest of the kit I wouldn't have expected to need to do that.

Southern Pride do plastic bogie spacers for Bachmann bogies; you just make the Bachmann bogie centre hole round using a sharp knife (there is usually a handy moulded circle as a guide) then glue in place. I think the reference you want is P163 off the SP website but you may need to contact him for confirmation as it is not a type I have used.

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 145 Squadron said:

Southern Pride do plastic bogie spacers for Bachmann bogies; you just make the Bachmann bogie centre hole round using a sharp knife (there is usually a handy moulded circle as a guide) then glue in place. I think the reference you want is P163 off the SP website but you may need to contact him for confirmation as it is not a type I have used.

Tony

As the bogies were supplied with the kit, shouldn't the spacers (which sound like the bit I'm missing) be in the kit as well?  

Don't suppose you have a picture of it as I may have it but don't realise what it is.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the plastic SP spacers that I use with Bachmann SR steam bogies. Note I have removed the coupling and added footsteps to this bogie.

DSCF2740.JPG.d303a7c3617a8a7038cd6d9479cb865a.JPG

DSCF2741.JPG.b7992c8ff4cd8d33799bf30cf40d4f3c.JPG

I found that Plastic Weld was needed to firmly attach the spacers to the Bachmann bogies.

I have used these on my Hachette conversions to Bulleid coaches so do not know what adjustments, if any, are required for your Hap kit. Also SP do several different types of spacer (one I have seen is thicker) so as I said before you need to check with him which ones you require.

I don't know why you did not receive them with the kit as SP is usually very comprehensive.

Hope this helps.

Tony

• Thanks 1

I've dropped him an email asking where in the kit the bits should be, as you say I'd have expected the spacers to have been supplied with the bogies as I bought everything in one go from him, after specifically asking exactly what I needed to order.