Hebden General Planning

• RMweb Premium

Could the goods 1 siding come off the loop rather than off goods 2 and be the effective trap? I would look at this as a lay-by siding as much as storage for the yard if it was my layout. Where the down or up pick-up goods was set back to drop-off/pick-up wagons. Would it be right to think like this?

Very nice plan with plently of operational potential anyway. The only downside, for me anyway, seems to be the need for down goods to return to the fiddle after a circuit in order to reverse into the loop. (I am just enjoying myself thinking how I would operate such a layout since I could never have anything like this in real life!).

Izzy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

p.s. if modelling the traditional era, the short length between the siding turnout and the slip would give you somewhere to park the brake van while using the loop as a headshunt for the goods yard. But not if the turnout is acting as a trap. Likewise the spur at the other end of the loop is useful on occasions, if it made long enough.

Martin.

Very useful prototypical knowledge. I shall salt those tips away. Thanks Martin!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Could the goods 1 siding come off the loop rather than off goods 2 and be the effective trap? I would look at this as a lay-by siding as much as storage for the yard if it was my layout.

I see what you mean but the goods loop beyond the sidings points is equally long and wouldn't require a goods train to set back so far so I'd suggest just using the loop itself as the refuge. (And see Martin's useful tip above.)

Very nice plan with plenty of operational potential anyway. The only downside, for me anyway, seems to be the need for down goods to return to the fiddle after a circuit in order to reverse into the loop. (I am just enjoying myself thinking how I would operate such a layout since I could never have anything like this in real life!).

Thanks! Yes, in an ideal world it would be better if down goods trains didn't have to exit the scene before setting back into the goods loop but within the space available that sort of compromise is inevitable, I'm afraid. (At least up goods remain mostly on scene before setting back!)

The trick is to think about the prototype not the model: a down goods is not entering the fiddle yard - it's just running further down the main line and there just happens to be a bridge obscuring the view! ;-)

Edit: P.S. See my Upton Hanbury design where there are two very long refuge sidings (one combined with a goods loop) and both set back manoeuvres take place on scene...! But it is HUGE!

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott,

Here's an update as discussed with point labels and Martin's trap and lengthened stub siding at A5-A6. I rejigged the goods sidings pointwork a bit to make room for the trap and for a brakevan to stand on the loop at H1.

EB10.png.1f42c292a196e55cc690d52069c882ef.png

I haven't used Peco part numbers because there are several different variations of each geometry you can choose.

You'll be able to zoom in to see them better when you get the PDF but here are some zoomed in images:

1249992830_EB10right.png.6a4adcf205523a8e36817a1e9ade32df.png1511327884_EB10top.png.ed752e26fc9d8cfba814e40cd9573a62.png836703776_EB10left.png.8e495504af35db3ff29738f5f69e683d.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1