More Science of Eurosprinters

NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

Well, hello again...

As I got home today a parcel was waiting for me, holding an item which I had pre-ordered a while ago - namely Roco's DB Schenker class 152 goods engine which first hit the stores late last year :) . The reference number for this model is 62700, with the Dispolok variant in the old yellow and silver livery being reference 62701, and an earlier DB variant with DB Cargo markings being reference 62702.

I think those of you with an interest in German and Austrian railways will probably know my earlier thread The Science of Eurosprinters (and Eurorunners) where I outlined the history of the Siemens Eurosprinter and Eurorunner lines of electric and diesel-electric locomotives, so I believe I'll pass this part today and refer you to that thread.

In 1993 the then Deutsche Bundesbahn held a tender for a new three-phase goods engine which was primarily meant to replace the class 150 Co'Co' engines, built in 194 units between 1957 and 1973. This was then won by Krauss-Maffei - which was still an independent enterprise back then - and Siemens as the cooperating partner for the electrical equipment. The engine which emerged from this development was then called the ES 64 F type, in keeping with the nomenclature begun with the prototype ES 64 P or class 127, and was to receive the DB class number 152 eventually. 152 001 was rolled out at the Krauss-Maffei plant in Munich on 10 December 1996, and then entered a trial phase together with another four 152s which could be completed by 31 July 1997. Further production engines followed from 1998 onwards, with a total of 170 units for the DB and two additional ones for the Dispolok leasing pool being built until 2001. However, the DB originally meant to order 195 units, but when the Austrian authorities withheld certification for the ÖBB network the last 25 orders were changed into what is now the class 182 - the German variant of the ÖBB class 1116 "Taurus", or ES 64 U2, which first entered service in 1999 and is the immediate successor to the ES 64 F. An additional option for 100 engines was eventually changed into the class 189 multisystem goods engine, or ES 64 F4.

The two Dispolok engines were sold to private goods operator ITL in 2005, retaining the yellow and silver Dispolok livery.

Overall, the ES 64 F's performance characteristics are largely the same as for the ES 64 U2, save for the lower top speed and the fact that it is fitted only for 15 kV AC:

Overall length: 19,580 mm

Width: 2,960 mm

Height: 4,260 mm

Power output: 6,400 kW/8,704 hp

Initial tractive effort: 300 kN

Service weight: 87 tonnes

Top speed: 140 kph

As it was primarily meant for goods traffic - with regional passenger services having been a secondary role, in which it was but rarely used after the different DB branches for long distance passenger service, regional service and goods service were created - the ES 64 F was given bogies with nose-suspended motors which could be cleared for a top speed of 140 kph only.

I naturally shot a couple of photos as well:

DSC4092-1277238204961.jpg

This model represents engine 152 096 with Railion DB Logistics markings, as she appears at this time. It does not have the UIC-TSI numbers, though. Roco's 152 is a completely new development and includes all modifications applied to this class thus far - these mainly consisting of additional handrails and steps at the fronts. 152 096 was accepted by the DB at the Nuremberg depot on 5 May 2000 and carries the works number 20223. I think the look and feel of this locomotive has been captured very well, and with Roco's usual high level of detail this is a very attractive model, in my opinion.

DSC4093-1277238205262.jpg

The add-on parts for this model include not only the brake lines and ETS and ECP sockets on and under the buffer beam, but also the handrails to both sides of the cab doors. The model has NEM extension coupler pockets which can be removed for displaying it in a cabinet, and a pair of snow ploughs without cutouts for the couplers. Looking closely, you can see what I think is a faithful rendition of the bogie details, with the gearboxes being suitably compact and allowing free through view between the wheelsets. As cheek brake disks were a novelty on German engines at the time the ES 64 F was designed, one of the nicknames applied to the 152 in particular was "Ferrari" - due to the red colour as well as those "racing style" brake disks. Also note the LZB antennas inside the snow plough and the printed maintenance advice diagram on the underfloor transformer.

The inscriptions on the Cab 1 end include the owner - Railion Deutschland AG, Nuremberg - , overall length of 19.58 metres and distance between bogie pivots of 9.90 metres, as well as the builders - Krauss-Maffei and Siemens - and the finishing date of the last paint job.

DSC4094-1277238205588.jpg

The inscriptions on the Cab 2 end include the last overhaul date - Dessau repair works ("LDX") on 16 November 2005 - as well as the service weight of 87 tonnes and the usual brake inscriptions: KE-GPR-E mZ, disk brakes and ECP brake equipment; and the braking weights: R+E "red" 145 tonnes, R 125 tonnes, P 103 tonnes and G 90 tonnes. Also note the silver-painted PZB transceiver between the wheelsets and the very tiny warning signs on the outside of the ETS sockets :blink: .

DSC4095-1277238205989.jpg

Roco also chose to apply the windscreen wipers as separate parts. As previously mentioned, the ES 64 F was given additional handrails and steps on the frontsides from 2005 onwards, which have been represented on this variant of the model. Originally, the central step between the buffers and the one above the left-hand buffers as well as the handrails in the centre below the windscreen and the two on the left side of the fronts did not exist, and were basically inspired by the arrangement on the class 189/ES 64 F4.

DSC4096-1277238206457.jpg

Looking at the roof, there is not all that much to be seen, save for the two SSS 87 type pantographs - as on the real thing, since the busbar and circuit breaker are located inside the engine's body. The no-skid strips are represented as well.

As I said, Roco also offer two other variants of this model at this time - the first being one of the two Dispolok liveried engines as they appeared around 2005, and the other DB Cargo engine 152 013 as she appeared around 2001.

Hope you enjoyed reading this small article! :)

Archived