Great Western Way

David Bigcheeseplant

I have just picked up a copy of the revised Great Western Way published by the HMRS, it retails at ??37.50.

I was looking forward to this expanded and updated volume, but in a matter of ten minutes I was left feeling disapointed and frustrated, as mistakes and omisions have been carried forward from the old version, sure there are additional chapters and more photographs, but even the new captions seem to have too many things wrong. For example a colour photo of a lined green pannier is said to be in lined black, a 517 with polished smokebox door ring and hinges are said to be painted white and the list goes on.

A book that should have had time an effort by a society to get things right has been let down by mistakes that should have been picked up by proof reading.

David

I have just picked up a copy of the revised Great Western Way published by the HMRS, it retails at ??37.50.

I was looking forward to this expanded and updated volume, but in a matter of ten minutes I was left feeling disapointed and frustrated, as mistakes and omisions have been carried forward from the old version, sure there are additional chapters and more photographs, but even the new captions seem to have too many things wrong. For example a colour photo of a lined green pannier is said to be in lined black, a 517 with polished smokebox door ring and hinges are said to be painted white and the list goes on.

A book that should have had time an effort by a society to get things right has been let down by mistakes that should have been picked up by proof reading.

David

So I can save myself ??40 then? I still have the old version :D

• RMweb Gold

David

Thank goodness it's not me being curmudgeonly about this book. I bought a copy from Kevin Robertson at the Didcot show on Saturday and have only read bits of it so far but was beginning to wonder if it was me or 'them' as I picked up errors and mistakes from just a small sample of items?

At that price one expects, and should get, a quality item properly researched, carefully edited and - as you say - correctly proof read. I think it fails in that and alas, in my view, it does the reputation of the HMRS more harm than good.

The new parts written by John Lewis seem good, although he has been let down by those responsible for some of the other new parts and captions, I also don't like the landscape format and the grey squares in the corners with page numbers on, maybe its me, but I keep thinking that the pages have been bent when reading and my eye catches the grey bits.

It??™s a real shame as I was looking forward to this and I come away feeling disappointed. It seems like the whole book has been put together by a committee with everyone wanting to make their mark rather than letting just one or two authors writing with help from others maybe giving advise or checking where needed. Has anything designed by committee ever produced a worthwhile result!

Also I know preserved locos and other stuff can help illustrate a point, but in this context of a historical information work it can lead to confusion, for example the photo of the preserved 6412 on the front cover is a good point it has polished axle ends something never done on any Great Western loco other than a king. I also find the front cover picture odd anyway with a modern industrial building behind the loco and a yellow diesel loco in the background!

I have never joined the HMRS and in a way this has reinforced by ideas that it does not live up to what it promotes and what I have heard tends to have too many internal politics.

David

the 'distance selling act'?

Could you please tell me what the 'distance selling act' is as I have never heard of it. Perhaps I should have a look at the small print from when I ordered it.

Cheers

Willy

Could you please tell me what the 'distance selling act' is as I have never heard of it. Perhaps I should have a look at the small print from when I ordered it.

Cheers

Willy

You have a 'cooling off' period of seven days Explanation certainly worth a try, if your retailer is amazon they might charge a restocking fee though!

edit another link better explanation

Archived