RMweb

Combining 7mm test track with a 2mm layout

dpgibbons

I'm planning a simple circular O gauge layout of 6-7ft radius and thinking that I could combine it with a more ambitious N gauge circular scenic layout. The two layouts would use a common baseboard subframe with the interior N Gauge track inside and at a higher level, with a two-sided backscene dividing them. 

Feedback welcome please on whether this has been done before and what the pitfalls might be.

Seems to me to be a significant waste of space, and would require you to have a room that is at least 17'x17' and then the associated waste of much of that space requiring a walkway around the layout.

Far better would be to build around the walls and  just put the O track below the N layout, perhaps hiding it with a curtain if you don't want it to distract from the N layout.

Edited by mdvle
change tone

• 11 months later...

Buy an O gauge Rolling Road...then you can watch the loco valve gear in operation and do any maintenance.

Especially useful if you want to show the hidden operation of your Dapol 1:43 Terrier.

Peco Oh set track is 40" radius so about 6'8 for a circle on the floor, which is why many only model in modules which is fine.

At least  you don't have to devote vast scale acres to squeezing an O-gauge circuit into your pint pot space.

Unless you use the N-gauge as a miniature line popular in the leisure industry...remember that?

It would provide an RD&DR style attraction to the lineside of the Oh-gauge

In truth and modern home terms at least until the mid-90s only the Garden was suited to siting a modest O or smert-two based layout.

With modern planning and development even the garden is now a casualty of the reduction in space and increase in population density.

Hence the steady increase in module based O-gauge layouts.

On 18/04/2019 at 03:12, dpgibbons said:

I'm planning a simple circular O gauge layout of 6-7ft radius

Radius, or Diameter..?? There's quite a difference!! And if you mean diameter, that means very tight radius curves for O Scale, so only short locos & stock if using British outline.

Doesn't leave a particularly useful space inside for N Scale either - it would need an access hole in the middle, unless you have arms with a 3- or 4-ft reach.

I like the idea of a circular test track.  In fact one of my April 1st ideas was a circular test track which revolves on a centre bearing. With a motor drive it could turn anti clockwise at the same speed as the train runs clockwise. i'e the train stays still.  That way you can always get at the loco when it packs up and the bogies etc get run in unlike most rolling roads.

Yes, I meant radius. It's not that I'm short of space (or rolling roads), but the large hole in the middle of a circular O gauge layout is rather a waste of it. Two circular layouts on one set of boards means less baseboard building, less setting up and packing away and the potential to share use of power supplies etc.

The boards would be divided by a two-sided backscene with the O gauge tracks - a mainline with perhaps a loop or two - on the outside. The N Gauge layout would be raised and viewed from the inside and with a ~36ft run could be considerably larger in scope.  The difference in track height would allow eg an N gauge fiddle yard over an O gauge tunnel section. 

Edited by dpgibbons

Actually an old friend, Stan Froud, had an O gauge test track round his OO gauge layout. It looked really odd.

If it was 6ft diameter with a big hole in the middle you could roll it down the hallway and hang it on a nail in the garage, 6ft radius, well same thing but hang it from the ceiling,  A bit like the chandelier in Any Fools and Horses.

• Like 1