Hi

As you may have seen, i previously had plans for a Appleby lookalike layout. Well, those plans fell through (along with countless others!)  My new plan is a Modern image Darlington station layout, about 8ft long and 4 ft wide. It can fit a 2+4 HST set in (with a bit of overhang) and will have all 4 platforms and a through line or 2. the scenic section will have a line that goes down a 4% incline gradient into a tunnel. I also plan for a heritage railway or a royal mail depot. I also plan for a freelance Atlantic, aimed for modern day uses (freight, expresses, ect.) I shall update as it goes, however i still need to build a baseboard.

more to come!

Edited by Darlington South Junction
Needed name change, keeping rest as is
  • Like 2

Guest HJF66

Sounds Great! Look forward to seeing more updates especially seeing as there aren't many Modern Image Layouts out there.

Now Im not Picasso (or good at Art in that respect!) however this is merely a quick knock up of the track plan. It has been labelled, however it clearly isn't the best. One problem I face is the inside line (or platform 1) doesn't make a full loop without surpassing the inside track. This is caused by the 25cm gap in the station after platforms 2+3, including the 6cm for the platforms (which shall be made by me.) I cannot reduce this size via making the platforms smaller. I may try using 2 Hornby 2nd radius half curves, however i don't want to risk £5 for a idea that may not work (ascetically, as well.)  I shall have to upload a photo when i get the chance, however if anyone can help I would be grateful.

More to come!714617557_layoutplan.png.4991431729c95124e508dfc63c3650af.png

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 17:53, JamesGWR101 said:

I'd love to see this layout come together! Will it be 100% accurate to the real Darlington?

the initial plan was a 100% accurate representation of the station, however I encountered problems with the distance between the 2 through platforms. Its not as much based on Darlington anymore, however there is a bit of resemblance.  

13 hours ago, Darlington South Junction said:

the initial plan was a 100% accurate representation of the station, however I encountered problems with the distance between the 2 through platforms. Its not as much based on Darlington anymore, however there is a bit of resemblance.  

What was the problem with it? 

On 03/05/2019 at 07:47, JamesGWR101 said:

What was the problem with it? 

platform 1 and 4 were 25cm away, due to platforms 2 and 3 being in the middle, plus the 12cm overall of platform. Platform 1 (the closest to the hole) would need a steep curve in order to not foul the other track, with it possibly being 1st radius. I didnt want to lose more platform space, and I couldn't get the 2 tracks closer together. Due to a lack of space it would be impossible to widen the layout in order to add some straight track to the outside curve. Meanwhile, whilst playing with ideas I found that having the 2 bay platforms on the left to the through line would be easier. Photos of the design coming soon.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Darlington South Junction said:

PICT0004.JPG.b3845279e7d8ad4c1957469e1a1ae434.JPG

Just a general idea of how things are coming- the space on the right hand side is probably going to go towards a small heritage railway, or two more platforms, however I do not know yet. 

More to come!

Looking good so far. I like the idea of a heritage railway. Perhaps you should put part of the heritage railway on the layout...

• 3 months later...

Project Update and an Apology

I would like to apologise to those who were expecting a Darlington layout. Over the past few months, I've become increasingly interested in the ELR and Bury Bolton Street. The idea for this has appeared in my head a few times, and this idea stalled. So, I decided to ditch this plan and do a Bury Bolton Street layout. Yet again, my indecisiveness kicked in. So, I would like to apologise to those who were disappointed. I may turn this into the BBS (Bury Bolton Street) layout page or create a completely new one.

Onward with the new plan, I have made a decent start already. I have most of the track work in place for the station, with the other side (either a fiddle yard or another scene (s)) having absolutely no track! I also have a Mk1 composite and a Mk1 buffet (both Tri-ang and blue/grey.) I also have a maroon railroad mk1 brake (which I love by the way!) Also, I have a tiny demonstration freight rake. And to top it all off, my first resident locomotive- Lima GWR Prarie 4589 (and the Flying Scotsman, but that'll be a visitor.) The only issue is that the Mk1 buffet has a chunk of one wheel missing, so I have an excuse to replace the bogies with Bachmann commonwealth bogies! The current plan is:

• Replace 4589's chassis with a Bachmann one
  • Replace the Tri-ang wheels with Bachmann Commonwealth Bogies
  • Buy track (lots of track)
  • Buy another resident locomotive (diesel or steam will suffice)
  • Continue to modify my Tri-ang 3f into a L&Y class 27)
  • Work out the rest from there

I can upload some photos of the work so far if it wasn't pitch black. 

More coming soon! (hopefully)