Speed limiter for DC?

hartleymartin

• RMweb Gold

I know someone who has been taking such a "shunting puzzle" layout to exhibitions for some years for the public to have a go on. Each wagon has a letter on top and the "victim" draws a card showing the order in which they need to end up. "Experts" get the odd longer wagon, or a gunpowder van which must not be coupled next to the loco, substituted to make it trickier. Great fun.

His just has a second pot "off stage" through which the output from the layout controller passes before connection to the track.

Adjusting that limits the maximum speed obtainable from the main controller and, being adjustable, allows variation to suit any loco.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 1 month later...

I had fun shunting with a Hornby 2721 pannier and  Bachmann 8750 pannier with a voltmeter in circuit and didn't even reach 4 volts at what looked like shunting speed.  Which is why I tried a 3.6  volt wall wart on a 1960s Triang resistance controller.   For shunting it was great, a lot better than the Duette as no matter what I tried it would only trundle around slowly.. Needed to slack off the couplings before starting. Just needs a cut out which works, as the Wall wart doesn't deliver enough poke to trip the 1 amp Triang bi metal cut out.

Edited by DavidCBroad