Help with identifying locations please

iands

15 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

The 56 shot on MGRs is definitely not Daw Mill, I used to sign it and it didn't / doesn't look like that, the topography is all wrong, it's more likely to be Drax or Eggborough… ;)

This is a loading point. Could it be the curiously named 'Lounge' on the Burton- Coalville line? 

13 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Not sure on that, it is close, but where the building is the ground is raised. If this link works;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.8872&lon=-1.5205&layers=10&right=BingHyb

Possibly Biddick Lane, it also has a track off to the right where there is a gate in the photo.

Dave

That looks more convincing ......... Follingsby Lane is too narrow.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:42, Davexoc said:

Not sure on that, it is close, but where the building is the ground is raised. If this link works;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.8872&lon=-1.5205&layers=10&right=BingHyb

Possibly Biddick Lane, it also has a track off to the right where there is a gate in the photo.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion of Biddick Lane, it got me thinking and I had to investigate further. The NLS maps certainly show Biddick Lane in the same configuration as the photo. However, after consulting the 1979 Sectional Appendix (ER Northern Area) I'm 99.99% convinced it is Follingsby Lane LC as it is definitely indicated in the SA as an AHB crossing, whereas Biddick Lane isn't. Given the date of the photo (probably early to mid 60's), if Biddick Lane had been converted to AHB by that time, I'm certain it would have been recorded as such in the SA, and I can't find any other AHB crossings on the branch to the east of Biddick Lane. In fact, it appears (according to the SA) that Follingsby Lane is the only crossing on the Leamside route to be converted to AHB, which possibly is the original "main interest/reason" for the photo, rather than the loco. My only 0.01% doubt is that the crossing in the photo isn't on the Leamside route at all, and therefore can't be Follingsby!

Looking at aerial views I see that Follingsbly Lane is, indeed, just a lane and too narrow to have a white line down the middle. In the background appear to be domestic properties but that site ( at Follingsby Lane ) looks to be an industrial estate - though that could have changed in the intervening years, of course.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Looking at aerial views I see that Follingsbly Lane is, indeed, just a lane and too narrow to have a white line down the middle. In the background appear to be domestic properties but that site ( at Follingsby Lane ) looks to be an industrial estate - though that could have changed in the intervening years, of course.

Hi Wickham,

Thanks for your comments. Looking at Follingsby Lane on Google maps it does show a broken white line down the middle of the road. Okay, I accept it isn't a 'solid' white line as per the photo (to indicate "no overtaking on the crossing"), but the road markings are likely to have changed in the intervening years since the crossing closed. Looking at the 25inch/mile maps the distance between boundary fences at the crossing is approximately 40 feet, knock off a little for grass verges etc. and I still think the "lane" is wide enough for white lines down the middle. Coupled with my investigations explained above that Follingsby Lane was the only crossing on the Leamside branch to be converted to AHB, and that Biddick Lane wasn't (although technically it wasn't on the Leamside branch either), I'm fairly confident that it is Follingsby Lane in the photo. But, as I also mentioned above, there is a tiny fraction of doubt that the line/crossing viewed in the photo might not be the Leamside at all - in which case it would be back to square one.

3 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Wickham,

Thanks for your comments. Looking at Follingsby Lane on Google maps it does show a broken white line down the middle of the road. Okay, I accept it isn't a 'solid' white line as per the photo (to indicate "no overtaking on the crossing"), but the road markings are likely to have changed in the intervening years since the crossing closed. Looking at the 25inch/mile maps the distance between boundary fences at the crossing is approximately 40 feet, knock off a little for grass verges etc. and I still think the "lane" is wide enough for white lines down the middle. Coupled with my investigations explained above that Follingsby Lane was the only crossing on the Leamside branch to be converted to AHB, and that Biddick Lane wasn't (although technically it wasn't on the Leamside branch either), I'm fairly confident that it is Follingsby Lane in the photo. But, as I also mentioned above, there is a tiny fraction of doubt that the line/crossing viewed in the photo might not be the Leamside at all - in which case it would be back to square one.

Wasn't Follingsby where the Freightliner terminal used to be? This might explain why the crossing was upgraded.