Basic Wiring Question

I am wiring my son's layout to a H and M 'Clipper' controller. It has 12v DC rear screw connectors which I assume are for the track power. The controller also has 16v AC output one side and another 12v DC output on the other. I have some lights and two colour light signals which also need connecting. I am not sure whether these should be connected to the 12v DC or 16v AC output. I have tried both quickly, and the lights work ok, but would like to know which is the correct method. Also when the lights and signals were both connected into the same output it seemeed to work, but then when I turned off the power and on again neither the lights or signals worked.

The lights only started to work again when I disconnected the signals. Do the signals need a separate power supply and if so what ? Thanks for any help. Kevin.

Is there any information with the lights recommending a power supply? Can you identify the maker or model number? For want of any information I would suggest the 12V supply, as they are likely to last longer than on the 16V. You might want to try pairs in series to reduce their output, and further extend their life.

The colour light signals will require some switching for operation, again if you have the maker and model number you can then probably find information by putting that in google or another search engine and having a browse on what gets pulled up.

On H&M kit the rear screw terminals are the controlled outputs.

The side connections were intended for the interconnection of additional controllers, 12V DC, or point solenoids, the 16V AC through H&M switch units. There used to be brass interconnecting pins which fitted between the two units and came with the auxiliary units.

Just follow the instructions that came with the signals and point solenoids.

Remember that they are additional loads all being fed from the same unit so make sure that all the additional loads plus the load from the loco don't exceed the Clippers maximum rated output.

Archived