• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A brief update (more of a "placeholder") as progress with tiling the roof of my Metcalfe Inn kit has been minimal - too many other things to do this Summer.

1160948532_MetcalfeInn11.png.1735864023614b645921da39000fc30d.png

In terms of lessons learned to pass on: it appears that coffee does seem to help when tiling in fairly straight rows - while Merlot can make it a bit more difficult.

Anyway, in terms of the outlook for the overall Short Edge Project(s), a more realistic date is now into 2021, with other projects also on the go and with both the bookcase I had my eye on and the space it occupies being needed for other purposes.  In the meantime, there have been a host of new build threads launched for innovative and interesting Micro-Layouts here on RMweb that it'll be a joy to read up on in the coming weeks.  Thank you to all who are sharing ideas and examples.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s been a while since I posted on this thread - which perhaps tells its own story.  Last summer I began the task of tiling the roof of a Metcalfe Coaching Inn model.  Progress has been rather slow - probably what a real building would look like if I was asked to do the roof!  Some parts are quite rough, and of course the photos highlight those bits in particular, but for a supposedly older coaching inn, it’s not something I’m worrying about.  I’m not sure I’ll rush to try individual tiling again: though I have full respect for those with the patience and persistence to model to this standard consistently.  For me: other kits have overtaken this one.

59A8F470-60F6-4B22-97FD-18231496C19D.jpeg.2c611449fa39061417e384e291b48f44.jpeg

F8367C6C-0062-4F3A-A575-BE1B1B3BD2BF.jpeg.bc25bcd24339003c040d3bf163e09b06.jpeg

What about Short-Edge as a project?  I mentioned in an earlier post last Summer that the bookcase I’d been planning to store / display micro-layouts had been repurposed for other use at home, which has led me to a rethink.  I still like the concept: the idea could produce a nice micro-layout, and I was greatly encouraged by the positive comments when I launched the thread a year ago (Thank you all).  Developing the idea has been fun in itself, but I’m looking at other plans now where I might apply at least some of the modelling steps I identified when I began.  I suspect therefore that the Beeching Axe has fallen on this particular branch line, to make way for other ideas instead.

Keith.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

In my previous post, I hinted other ideas were in development.  One of these now has a thread in this Forum: Uphill - a GW Branch Line Terminus .  It's using the baseboards and track I'd originally put to one side for this project: as with all good projects, nothing gets wasted!  Even City of Truro, built as part of this thread, was seen in the fiddle yard checking clearances

Uphill will now be home for updates (including the inevitable side projects I get distracted by):

427600026_CanopyClock.png.29ef3f17a22e2a593833a7326d32236f.png

This little clock must be part of something don't need, for example...

(Not the real size - it's smaller than it looks, and not the real time either)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Reinstating pictures
  • Like 1