Express Dairy LYR Goods Van

Recently, I purchased a Powsides Express Dairy Van kit that uses a MAJ Van kit that comes with the folding doors. When compared to the photo on P.233 of LYR Wagons Volume Two, the kit does stand up very well for lettering but the van is labelled as having a wheelbase of 12'0 when the prototype is labelled as one with a 10'6 wheelbase (which can easily be changed at a later date).

However, I am starting to find that this kit may not be as straight forward as I thought. I understand that the LYR van kit represents a Dia.62 build (according to the paperwork I have with an unbuilt version) whereas the van in the photo is supposed to be a Dia.99.

Can the Dia.62 kit be used to represent a Dia.99 example?

59106055_10161771558395002_1471671042190606336_n.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure that if you've got Vol. 2 of Coates you've worked out that the D99 van is 1'6" shorter than the D62 van in length over body as well as wheelbase. Clearly it's a case of POWSides using the nearest available kit. If you can live with the 6 mm length discrepancy but want to make the kit look like a D99 van, it's principally the ends that require attention - the D62 has the characteristic inverted-V end framing to support a central longitudinal roof beam, as it has roof doors, whereas the D99 has two vertical end pillars.

I wouldn't shorten the wheelbase without shortening the body; that would just look odd. Clearly shortening the body isn't feasible! If you can't live with the 6 mm discrepancy, sell the kit and move on...

It must be pretty ancient - when did MAJ kits go out of production? Equally, I didn't realise POWSides has been around quite that long. And why is it supplied in a Slaters box?

EDIT: There's a whole topic from four years ago on MAJ L&Y van kits - it appears there was quite a variety. It looks as if there might be a folding door variant with the vertical end pillars, also both wheelbases existed. So are you sure the kit you have is actually the longer rather than shorter version? Have you measured it?

Edited by Compound2632