dcc points dead end sidings

martinapsid

• RMweb Gold

You have a choice: keep them as dead-end, or fit IRJs on the frog rails and provide additional power feed to the siding. The latter option follows the DCC recommendation that all track is powered at all times. So locos with lights and/or sound will continue to have these functions working even when the points are not set to the sidings. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you going to be storing locos on the dead-ends?  Do you want to be able to turn off the darn sound system when you store it?

On 11/05/2019 at 16:47, RFS said:

You have a choice: keep them as dead-end, or fit IRJs on the frog rails and provide additional power feed to the siding. The latter option follows the DCC recommendation that all track is powered at all times. So locos with lights and/or sound will continue to have these functions working even when the points are not set to the sidings. 

I believe the recommendation of permanently powering tracks is good.

DCC allows you to control all locos at all times. If they are in live sidings, then they are under still under your control.

It sounds like you are considering relying on point blades for electrical contact. I recommend not doing this.

Point blades can become blocked with paint & glue from weathering/ballasting & over time suffer tarnishing too. Cleaning rail tops is easy enough but having to clean the point blades is more of an effort & can easily be avoided.

The latest generation of electrofrog points allow stock & switch rails to be electrically bonded. The frog then needs to be isolated & fed via a switch. This gets mentioned on here frequently so a quick search will find something.

Some modellers 'get away' without doing this & claim they have no trouble. My own experience has led me to disbelieve them....unless of course they include a session of point blade cleaning in their routine track cleaning. I certainly don't. I used to hide behind my friend's old layout in embarrassment while he did this in front of viewers at an exhibition.

• Agree 1