Book recomendations

numpty

On 13/05/2019 at 22:59, Mike Bellamy said:

This topic lists a number of books about Industrial railways and their locos.

Is that any better than the “Midland” edition?

On 18/05/2019 at 00:28, Nearholmer said:

If you want all the details, get a copy of the Industrial Railway Society 'EL' handbook, the 18th edition, 18EL, has recently been published.

https://irsshop.co.uk/epages/c06e4627-fbe4-483c-833b-6f5529d3cffe.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c06e4627-fbe4-483c-833b-6f5529d3cffe/Categories/Category2/EL_Books

Is that just technical data and listings or does contain photographs of the locomotives?

The EL books give you an idea for where to go/look at the survivors if there is a specific type of locomotive you want.  Many of these can also be seen on the websites for the preserved railways and other photo sites.

A good friend in searching as ever once you know the loco you are after is Google.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, AMJ said:

The EL books give you an idea for where to go/look at the survivors if there is a specific type of locomotive you want.  Many of these can also be seen on the websites for the preserved railways and other photo sites.

A good friend in searching as ever once you know the loco you are after is Google.

I've  been using Google (which I'm well aware and there are other search engines!).

I would prefer a book ( hence asking for a book recommendations and the title of the post) and pages to turn over, however one book doesn't cover everything.

The subject of industrial steam locomotives happens to be a vast and interesting one.

I apologise for not posting in the "book section".

On 13/05/2019 at 07:58, stewartingram said:

Not a book, but this website tries to list them all, with many photographs:

http://ukprsl.uk/

Stewart

Another (slightly related) website, that I often find very useful as a key to identify items at specific locations:

https://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains

While the EL books are comprehensive in their coverage, the amount of detail given for each locomotive listed is minimal. Space precludes history of previous owners/locations (though movements since their first publication can be traced through a complete set of ELs and IRS bulletins, at least in theory). As AMJ says, the websites of preservation sites can often give this information (some are better than others). Additionally, the IRS handbooks (organised by counties or region) generally contain the full history, as known at time of publication.