"Under the weather"

Just recently, I decided to weather my OO diesel locos and rolling stock, for I came to the conclusion that their appearance was a bit new/shiny, even a shade “toy-like”, as if they were fresh from the factory. Particularly as my current batch of OO layouts are modelled on my favourite theme of industrial shunting, and as such have been toned down with a fair amount of smoke, rust and general industrial “grime“. I have previously had a bash at weathering rolling stock, but this was in my early days as a modeller, and as such my policy was to coat the locos, wagons etc. with some Humbrol Matt Black paint, which was then wiped off with a piece of tissue or kitchen roll. This was OK for the time/my particular experience as a modeller, though in all truth is wasn’t all that professional a job, so for this latest weathering task, I used a set of weathering powders obtained from DCC Concepts, along with a tin of Humbrol acrylic varnish, Matt Cote, thinners & various brushes (see picture) , while I followed techniques used in the video which can be found via the following link:

I have to say that I’m pleased with the results of my endeavours, and I’ve attached some photos of my work. I’ve also got one or two steam locos which a bit “new and shiny”, so I dare say that they may also receive the “weathering treatment” before too long.

Goods vans.JPG

Coal wagons.JPG

Green 08.JPG

Blue 08.JPG

Open goods vans.JPG

Green 081.JPG

Edited by Andrew Cockburn
Needed to change text/Youtube link
  • Like 2