Bishop Auckland: A layout that was. (Now dismantled)

The Black Hat

Railtour's seen in Bishop Auckland

Hello all. Its been some time since I updated this, but I have some more pictures to post first, from its last outing. That first and then more on developments later. 

Over the weekend, the tour was worked onto the layout by 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe into Bishop Auckland and then taken forward by 62005 as there was gauging issues in Weardale. (Basically, my brother refused the engine access - he doesn't like Western and Southern stuff much.) The tour even came with its own headboard - The North Eastern Envoy

post-7347-0-91960500-1445538069_thumb.jpg

5043 is seen posing at the entrance to the layout. In fact its about to run off to turn and water elsewhere, before the run south. 

post-7347-0-69757000-1445538213_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-67909800-1445538301_thumb.jpg

The Earl stands on the end of Platform 1, about to shunt to the headshunt. 

post-7347-0-22948700-1445538378_thumb.jpg

62005 arrives with the returning stock. 

post-7347-0-65513900-1445538425_thumb.jpg

62005 uncoupling from the tour in platform 1. 

post-7347-0-84211000-1445538481_thumb.jpg

In a view rarely seen, 62005 stands on the access road to the loading area. Its position under the bridge is protected by the signal, but its also not into the loading area yet, standing just before the stop board. 

post-7347-0-14542300-1445538545_thumb.jpg

5043 Earl of Mount Edgumbe departs southwards with the return leg of the North Eastern Envoy tour. The Castle will have a spirited run to be back to the Midlands. 

post-7347-0-58064900-1445538630_thumb.jpg

62005 meanwhile shunts back to the branch headshunt to access the shed. 

post-7347-0-98819700-1445538678_thumb.jpg

62005 stands in the station headshunt simmering away before going to the shed. 

Hope thats of interest for the railtour idea. The engine swap is not too likely with each tour that runs. Its equally possible the tour could be diesel next time. 

More details soon. 

Hello all, 

Future plans for the layout now are turning to stock, signalling and some minor detailing areas. For the most part the scenery on the layout is largely complete. Occasionally, due to transporting the layout, more work is needed to keep this in order. As a result remedial action will be needed following its last outing earlier in the year.

As for stock, well the collection keeps growing. With the line being preserved most engines are polished and clean. There are a few interlopers here, that are just as normal, i.e. without the varnish. Attention needs to turn to the stock and weathering most of the collection. Diesels in particular are far too clean! So this is on the agenda. I think there's a likelihood I will stick with paints, brushes and powders. Meanwhile, as the collection grows so too does my interest in creating something a little bit special. After the L1 was turned into an L4 (where it has a less powerful boiler to avoid slips and tension in the design - not to mention air brakes, AWS, TPWS, OTMR and a more standard Darlington-esque smokebox door) I thought that this was the exact new build engine that preservation needed. As a result, I have started on another pair, with one in blue almost complete. Thanks to some more work done the third is going into NER Dark Darlington Green and will have a true NER smokebox door arrangement.  

I have no doubt that these will probably end up joined by a fourth in traditional BR Brunswick Green, as a guise that is more likely to catch some people out. To me, its just a shame that such a design is no longer around such as the L1, or new build as the L4. Im sure people will like the models done and the second in blue looks really smart all lined out and with a more LNER/NER smokebox door it matches perfectly into a LNER fleet of engines such as J39, B1, D49 that all have lineage from the NER appearance thanks to their designs done in Darlington. 

Away from steam engines another engine getting a new guise is none other than 58005, a Heljan 58 which is now sporting a livery of lime green, orange and black! After the 57/6 in EWS, I thought such an engine would be joined by another. Here the change is subtle as the class was looked into for conversion and hire, along with class 56. I'm not sure how many other engines might get similar treatment, as the main thrust has been for new build steam, of which I am probably getting carried away. 

Finally, the perhaps more challenging and interesting stage is to try and hook up a traintronics signal that I have over onto the DCC system using decoders to control the lights. I think this can be done and the ECoS/ESU system looks to be much more robust and adept to controlling something like this. I will be giving detailed updates here on how that all pans out. 

More details will be showing up soon on engine conversions on my RTR detail thread. 

Hope thats all of interest. Comments and feedback is very much welcome. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Some pictures here from engines that have recently been converted. A lot of these are mainly focused on my L1 to L4 project - being the creation of a new build tank engine that can suit the needs of the modern preserved railway and be able to be reliable, powerful and yet look the type. 

The idea came from the fact that no L1's were preserved. I was looking for a type that would suit the range needed by a modern railway. A lot of this has been detailed on my Workbench thread when the first of these was modified, being L4 67801 into British Railways black. For me, the L1 would be a natural choice, but with tweaks to the design. As a result, the boiler would be an exact copy of the one used in K1, as would the cylinders. This would turn the engine into a reliable tank counter part of the K1, which has been a regular and powerful performer in preservation. Gone would be the issues around the L1s overpowered cylinders and the trouble this would cause. Also, air brakes would be fitted as standard, a Westinghouse pump being attached to the right side of the smokebox. Modern signalling equipment such as TPWS and OTMR would also be in and around the cab. The wheels would be the same size as B1, meaning mainline work is possible and give a speed of 75mph, when needed but probably needing to be done in pairs given modern loadings. Finally, the tweaks on appearance would focus around the face and smokebox door - being a more standard LNER appearance that was in turn derived from NER practice. Thus putting L4 against B16, B1, Q6, A2, etc would have all had that gorgeous uniform look at the front which Western region fans marvel at by comparison. A change to standard eastern region practice would be the adoption of brackets on the left running plate above the cylinders for stowing unused lamps that would be needed if there was a change in duty or working. 

As this project continues I'm posting some pictures of 67801 and its second counterpart 67802 which has been finished in BR Express Blue.

post-7347-0-91162300-1447763189_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-93383400-1447763220_thumb.jpg

The pair post alongside each other in the bay platform and head shunt in the station area. 

post-7347-0-14320300-1447763280_thumb.jpg

67802 gets water in the shed area. The loose wire on the left is there because Im just taking a few quick pictures and this needs repair. 

post-7347-0-77871600-1447763340_thumb.jpg

67802 is given some TLC by its crew prior to working the next Northumbrian set service. The headboard has been changed so that its background is none other than NER Darlington Green, not that many would really notice... 

Hope thats of interest... more on engine changes and repaints soon. If interested check out the Workbench thread in the Modifying RTR section...

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

What with the new build L4 project nearing completion its time to enjoy the benefits of the class being positioned prior to being chipped. At this stage only 67801 is chipped and working, the others will follow in due course.

With work completed on the cosmetics, the fleet was taken down to the layout for some photos of them appearing together on the layout. I have to admit that I am pleased with the group and the positive response they have received, from those here, but also another local modeller renown for high standards.

Here are some pics of them together...

post-7347-0-40296200-1451865300_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-76948100-1451865477_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-08851200-1451865490_thumb.jpg

The engines will no doubt in turn end up being ones that venture out onto the layout. I do like the fact that the railway runs in preservation and that really an L1 converted as described elsewhere in work on my L4 project would be an ideal engine type for modern preservation. I could imagine one being a regular performer mid season on the NYMR, working alongside the likes of 80135, or on the Great Central. Its possible a rich benefactor could order one for the likes of Wensleydale - a nice tank engine in gorgeous northern countryside.

Here my dream would be of a group working in Weardale, where they augment traditional steam engines by being the reliable and regular new build that is made to just operate the line effectively and efficiently.

Photos below show how they could appear in the future on the layout.

post-7347-0-17220500-1451865798_thumb.jpg

67804 and 67802 stand at the shed.

post-7347-0-45059000-1451865860_thumb.jpg

No. 3 is in the siding while 4 and 2 remain on shed.

post-7347-0-48837000-1451865896_thumb.jpg

The camera man on the bridge seems oblivious to 67803 shunting to take up its next working.

post-7347-0-31398700-1451865950_thumb.jpg

Double-heading... 67801 seems to be joining 67803 to take out the Prince Palatine Pullman service today.

post-7347-0-93894400-1451866001_thumb.jpg

67803 has arrived and been directed to stand at the buffers in platform 3. This puts it in place to back straight to the shed if need be.

post-7347-0-28653300-1451866078_thumb.jpg

67804 is seen standing on the reception siding near the shed being serviced while 67801 brings in the shuttle. Given their lamp positions and the fact that their liveries are more standard its likely these will be on shuttle duties more often than the others. This in turn means they are excellently placed to masquerade as a real engine and often be perceived as such.

post-7347-0-99182900-1451866196_thumb.jpg

67804 seems to be entering the shed area.

post-7347-0-73754400-1451866243_thumb.jpg

67804 standing in the station loop head shunt.

I will post further pictures of the engines on this mini-photoshoot soon. As well as plans for the development of the layout in the future.

More soon. Comments on the engines and layout is always welcome.

Hello all,

Time for a more comprehensive update.

As usual the various engines in the collection has expanded. As well as the L4 collection that has been seen above, I also have another engine, an American which is being worked on for a Project, dubbed Project 131. Its linked to a film and will be one that is just run on for entertainment really. However, it should look good when finished. Theres hints to it on my RTR detailing thread. More on that later.

Other engines have seen some detail work done. The two engines in the ficiticious group being the A1 and A2 are set to get a repaint into NER Green proper, akin to L4 67803 which is in the same paint scheme. The L4s are awaiting chipping but that could be some time off. Some other engines are expected to be weathered soon too. Most are quite clean and needing to get dirty. Ones that are popular are expected to be done first, the Network Rail class 31 looks likely to be near the top.

As for the layout itself, attention is being turned to the signalling. Having done some research I have found its possible to DCC the Traintronics signals I have and wire them up. It could be done using more Bachmann/ESU accessory decoders and its likely funds will be going here, rather than chipping L4s. However, it does give issue to the fact that these could be set to the routes on the control pannel. My thoughts are that I would like them still to be seperate but that in turn could mean an awful lot of controlling when your working off a phone. It could be done by having an operator solely working the points and signals, but the team is not that big. For realism I dont particularly want signals to be left green when trains pass. The present system allows quick and easy access to control them and could still remain in place, but this also means operation from the back and at the last show we were operating from the crowd!

Putting signals onto DCC also presents the opportunity to review the signalling arrangements. I would also like to place ground signals for yet more realism. The numbering and scheme of using decoders allows the right ammount of signals and ground signals to be fitted for each board. The advantage of the whole scheme would be that when done, boards can be encased and then the wiring and system should all be in place and need minimal maintenance, where as with switches on the boards there is the possibility of damage when moving them.

The layouts operation at the last show also brought some challenges. With trains at the network end being run ad hoc. I do prefer a timetable as it makes movements more realistic and means that stock is varied rather than the same engines appearing all the time. As a result, the timetable has been reformatted. It makes the line to Bishop Auckland from Darlington seem more realistic, as does the preserved end, although this remains pretty much as it did before. Only two trains traverse the whole layout in an operating session, being one charter and one freight, although the former can be changed to freight or light engine movement.

It gives three trains arriving and departing from either end per hour. Which doesnt seem much, but with running round and engine swaps at the preserved end, and shunting and run rounds for the network end, it means there is a deceptive ammount of activity. With all this being done using DCC sound, the time taken to rev engines, move off and then stop all takes time. The engine itself performs as the real thing, rather than the faster analogue means of accellerating and decelerating on a traditional layout. Add in the time to change routes and signals and the layout operators have a lot to be on with. This is something I am aware of and as a result I am trying to build a team to help with the layout when its next on the circuit. One or two people have been sounded on this and Im looking to get more.

It means the layout will have interesting developments in 2016 as yet more accuracy and realism is built in and hopefuly more people joining to make its exhibition easier and more frequent.

Feedback and comments are welcome.

• 3 months later...

Hello all, 

Again more of an update. 

Its looking likely that the layout will be back out again at Shildon in June. I am needing some help to transport it there and back and thus calling on freinds to help! However, its meaning that again it can be back on show. 

The layout is now being prepared for signals to go DCC. This will make it possible to control virtually everything using either wireles or the control ESU ECoS system and drive from there. It also means that moving the layout should be easier as it just needs to be dismantled, transported and then plugged in and then play. The whole process is becoming much easier each time, but the signal rewiring before this happens is needed first. 

Meanwhile, stock has been repaired, stored or reworked. The two ficticious pacifics are having what essentially is an overhaul. Both have gone into NER Darlington green to match the L4 67803, with the first the A1 having been completed. The engines have been reworked to bring them to the standard of 60603 Eleventh Earl of Mar. Both have a Westinghouse pump for air brakes, Gresley styled corridor tender, and new A1 late with lip double chimney. The A1 looks the part, while the A2 is still being lined. 

With these going into NER Green, I wondered about stock to go with them. Naturally, this then gave rise to the idea of building a rake of stock done out in a new NER styled livery. Following research I found NER stock ran in crimson lake lined out in gold or yellow with a grey or white roof. I went with the idea that as British Railways adopted liveries of former regions, such as the Western going Chocolate and Cream, the Southern green, that the North eastern with engines in Darlington green like 60164, 60540 and 67803 would want to go Crimson. Problem was that it looks very much like the authentic Maroon livery. I also noticed that NER stock was lined per pannel. With the Mk1 design being used by so many preserved lines theres very little pannelling and so would look bland. 

It transpires that the NER used Red and White for Electric stock on the Tyneside services, but this I thought would look bright (and its also colours of Sunderland, so thats a no-go). I thought that using the crimson lake idea for a coach in a similar format to the layout of Blue and Grey Mk.1s would work. Sure enough, with the Crimson for blue, and a white based from LNWR style which was close to NER white for the roof, for where the grey was I arrived at my new North Eastern Railway livery. 

Four coaches are being tuned out so far. With one nearly complete. The Crimson and white livery looks very good and I'm lining the white with a brighter white and black lining. Im happy that my new livery would actually look very smart and attractive. Shame its only in model form, but then the whole layout is my own personal pipe dream really. 

Will endeavour to post pictures soon, and details of if the layout is out again to view. 

Work this weekend has seen me trying to work on getting a signal to work on DCC. The ECoS was very easy to programme to get it to work and accept the instructions that signals would be placed on the board. However getting the signal to wire up to the accessory decoder has not been as easy. 

I have reasoned that the accessory decoder should be able to operate in the same way as a the switch for controlling the signal. As a result I tried wiring this up today but the signal remains off. Looking online I have found that someone else has used an ESU decoder but needed means of a relay and as a result I'm needing to check whether its necessary or if it can be done without. This really would be the final major work that the layout would need and if so, Id like to think that the whole thing could just remain boxed up and ready for almost instant use.

The remaining signals still work on the conventional wiring system, although the switch to DCC would make operation easier as it can all be controlled over one system. 

Meanwhile further work on the re-liveried engines and stock continues, while some engines have been identified for sale to raise funds for modelling and a future mortgage!

Its looking like a J70, Britannia and maybe a class 60 could be going. Anyone interested should let me know!

More soon...

• 3 weeks later...

Work has taken place recently to get the layout up and running after the winter in storage. With priorities with work I am unsure if its wise to attempt to try and wire up the signals before the layouts next show in a fortnights time at Shildon Locomotion Museum. 

The sides of the layout boards have been painted black, which will look better when on show. There are a few details with the scenery to finish, but I expect the layout to be going to Shildon and running on DCC control with signals on analogue like before. It should see some new people helping with the layout, which could prove interesting. 

The engines have seen some new chips arrive. Two for some of the L1's, while one for the Colas class 58, which has been installed. A class 47 is being repainted which was already chipped into the unique livery of 47833 two tone green and will be named "Captain Peter Mainsty RN". Meanwhile the overhaul of the two ficitious pacifics is almost complete. They have been painted into NER Darlington Green and will match 67803. To go with these I have painted some coaches into a livery based on NER colours. The maroon comes from NER crimson lake, while the white is borrowed from LNWR colours, but would go with the white roof that NER did use. Instead the white is painted to match the grey in the Blue and Grey BR paint scheme. The rake of coaches all have a dark grey roof. The rake is mixed between Mk.1 and Mk.2a deliberately so that it looks like a railways attempt to get its own liveried set out into use. The rake is not finished, so will run with an odd coach as a buffet for now. 

More soon...

Work continues on the layout and engines ready for the exhibition next weekend. 

On the layout, some scenic work has been done to repair damage from storage during winter, as well as the last move the layout made. Its held up pretty well, but the latest work makes it look impressive. Some more (yes even more!) trees have been planned along the station road, as well as around the engine shed, making the area look new and decorated with some small trees to look the part. The picnic area and viewing point on the far side of the shed now have tables, and I plan to add people soon. 

I have noticed that some engines find the trackwork to the shed rough. Its causing some to stop where the track dips, caused when a point was replaced. Theres actually little I can really do in the short term, but prep engines for use and be careful driving over this track so they don't stall. 

Meanwhile 47833 and the NER-esque rake are almost finished. Some engines will have chips swapped ready for next weekend so that they can be at the even and different traction run. More on this and the stock list soon.

Less than a week to go!

Hello all, 

The layout is through at Shildon this weekend. A massive thank you to John Bradley as well as David and Edward Farms for helping to get it all over. 

There are lots of novelties there this weekend. The L4's have three in action, as well as the A1 and A2 in NER Green. The Colas rail class 58 should be putting in an appearance at the other end. 

If your there at the show, say 'hello'. 

Will post pictures soon. 

Hello all, 

An update after Shildon show. First of all a massive thanks to Dave and Edward Farms as well as John Bradley - the latter of which seems to be the first member in a crew for the layout. Dave Farms has been instrumental in getting the layout out and to the event this time round. 

A big thanks to John from Shildon club for moving boards at the end. 

An issue has been found that the legs that the layout stands on are slowly warping and moving due to the constant weight being taken when up at home. As a result its made putting the layout up and moving the thing from one place to another rather difficult. The process of taking the legs off, moving the layout and then re-attaching them has become in itself a horrid task with so few people. The boards themselves are rather large and can be heavy. 

That said when fully up the layout is working fine. It ran all weekend with few issues overall and certainly very few when it comes to wiring, point motors, signals etc. Just one stray wire caused one problem. 

More work is needed to get new legs to make transportation and deployment easier. While final work should be needed on wiring for signals to DCC and then replacing the bottom boards with new for them to be secured for display and storage. 

More news on that as things progress. For now, heres the first pictures of the layout in action with some of 37425 on the frieght train. 

post-7347-0-38533200-1465423880_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-24220400-1465423904_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

• 3 weeks later...

Information on 58005, alongside pictures of it at the Shildon Exhibition;

58005 was one of the final ones to be sent across the continent. For a long time the engine was stored at Leicester SD out of use, almost a depot guardian in fading Mainline blue. Rather than being sent to France in 2009 for ETF, my version is that the engine was hired in from EWS by the starting up of Colas Rail, eventually being purchased outright. Five class 58s were used for the trial, serviced at Washwood Heath by Boden Rail engineering, similar to that of the class 56s also being hired in from Hanson Traction which became DCR when that company was taken over. 

58005 was the first completed for Colas rail, the others being 58012, 58022, 58023 and 58048. The company wanted to use these on some logistic flows that were being started, namely moving items from hub to hub, some large hubs, others small. Old former parcel depots were used as some destinations, with others being new yards built and unloaded in the open by forklift. The some ran from Bishop Auckland to Daventry, Willisden, Telford and Ditton. With Aycliffe growing, further wagons were left at a facility there, while the train engine took those remaining to Bishop Auckland for unloading there at Wilson's Logistics. (None of that on flows or ideas actually happens...)

Here 58005 is seen leaving Bishop Auckland with a load for Telford. In other pictures 66848 is passing through with a coal train from Wolsingham - a flow that actually did happen for a number of years. 

post-7347-0-46923900-1467584746_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-61671700-1467584776_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-17468000-1467584803_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-98808600-1467584821_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-66640600-1467584833_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-23785300-1467584845_thumb.jpg

More to come...

Hello all, 

Pictures from the summer exhibition at Shildon again. With operating the layout at times on my own, one way was to get the layout easier to run by using a DMU on the preserved branch shuttle.

Here pictures show the new purchase of the Bachmann 101 in use.

post-7347-0-19376800-1468100430_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-16356500-1468100546_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-44131400-1468100564_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-21127300-1468100583_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-15382300-1468100621_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-04221300-1468100638_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-81658900-1468100660_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-83266200-1468100687_thumb.jpg

Enjoy...

post-7347-0-15136400-1468100605_thumb.jpg

Background information here on the idea of the A1 and A2 into NER Green. Also some on the 'company' set up and its choice of livery. The coaches mentioned in some posts previously also appear in the pictures here:

Given the success of the Weardale railway, a local investment firm DFN GB, used its profits to build a new engine shed at Etherley, in an area irronically known as Paradise. The shed, offically named as Etherley shed, was built on the site of the previous Etherley tip, with effort ensured to keep the ground stable. 

As a part of this, a large share was bought into Weardale Trust and the operating company of Weardale Railway, by the firm ensuring control and involvement. As this essentially was a means for the owner of the company to divest his parent companies profits into his own interest and enterprise, the subsidiary company The New North Eastern Railway Company was created, known much like its forebarer as the NER. Again, use of other efforts allowed rapid progress, with the fund purchasing access to tools and casts from the A1 Tornado project. These were assembled at Etherley while other engines arrived to start to bolster the Weardale fleet. As well as use of parts, others were ordered so that in conjunction a new A2 would be built. 

Built between 2009 and 2010, the pair were fitted out and ran on the line for some years in an original guise. After this in 2015, both were given upgrades at their first mid-ticket overhaul, which became a full heavy general overhaul to get main-line certification. Both had Westinghouse air brakes fitted, both had upgrades to the tender to give it a corridor connection and both had mainline TPWS, OTMR, electric lights and modern sanding equipment fitted. In addition, they were outshopped in the new NER company livery scheme - namely Darlington green, lined out as if it were British Railways colour scheme in black and white. The idea for this was that as other regions in British Railways reverted to their previous identities - namely the Western with their Engine green and brown and cream coaches - that the NER could have done the same and gone for its historic Darlington green. 

Here, pictures show some of the pair at work, with a rake of coaches painted into White and NER Crimson, essentially giving a new NER coaching livery scheme based on the companies previous traditional colours matched for newer stock. The rake has other coaches mixed into it as the rake is incomplete but will be done soon to have a full new NER company set and engine available for traffic, including a BG fitted out as a water carrier. 

post-7347-0-46938100-1468404971_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-44568300-1468405081_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-33892200-1468405097_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-24510000-1468405138_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-64812300-1468405157_thumb.jpg

Another new engine to the layout was that of 47833 Captain Peter Mainsty RN. The engine was particularly special having been at the end of the charter that on 28th May 1993 was waved off with the green flag at Darlington by me at all of 9 years of age. 

As a result the engine has always been something fondly remembered and so I had to repaint on for the guise. 

Here, the new engine to the collection is seen on Pilot duties between Etherley and Bishop Auckland station. 

post-7347-0-94926600-1468495873_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-20741500-1468495897_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-39772600-1468496038_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-29541400-1468496077_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-20502600-1468496097_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-18019900-1468496118_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-48940100-1468496134_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

A bit of an update. 

New engines have been purchased but are awaiting sound fitting. These are non other that Q6 63395 and 63398 which have both been renumbered. Other engines joining the roster will see the J94s 68023 and Wilbert. A DRS 37/4 is also purchased, being 37405 to go with the Mk.2 set that was bought for the last exhibition. Photos of this will be put up as I get round to organising everything. 

The layout has seen its sides painted black. So is looking smart when seen from the front. The issue of the legs has been sorted with the purchase of several metal saw horse style supports that have been assembled and slung out underneath. They are very strong and easily take the weight of the layout. They have also slightly lowered the whole layout meaning that it should be easier to operate and for children to view it. Previously it had been quite high to the extent of making it hard for some to view. 

More stock has been purchased for the rake of coaches to go into the new NER livery that I have created. This sees the set become almost a full charter rake that can be split and operated on the layout in two mixed sets. The first is the usual branch line set that the layout runs, being engine +5 coaches. However, a Pullman rake of 5 coaches is in the process of being done, including a Mk.2 brake, Pullmann bar, 2 Pullman kitchen dining coaches and one Pullman saloon. Adding the two sets gives me a 10 coach rake, increased by a full brake that has been done out as a Water Carrier. The full rake, with the likes of the NER Darlington Green A1 or A2 would look sensational. For now finishing touches are being done and theres been incredible amounts of attention to detail on this set. Bogies have been marked out with coloured parts, and the coaches are in the process of being painted, lined throughout and having loads of correct transfers applied. They really are looking fantastic as the project continues. 

More news on all this soon, but Im busy in the process of buying a house, which comes with a nice garage for all this collection to move into! 

• 2 months later...

So now some news on the layout at the moment.

There are more pictures to show on the layout from the last time it was out at Shildon.

Since then the layout has been moved on its new legs to my new home. It stands currently in the garage proudly on its new legs, with three boards together and the final scenic section (the Latherbrush bridge) standing independently to one side. The length of the garage does allow for the possibility of another board being placed at the end, but with a type 4 radius curve to bring the track round and then along the front of the garage.

I am not sure just how far the track work would be extended, whether it would be a curve round or a full scenic board. The danger with a full scenic board is that it makes the layout bigger and this has already become something verging on colossal to move. The other issue is that after the curve I am already planning on a second board to then add to this, with a scene, probably a depot onto it. The chances are that both will be a full scenic board with the end where the track work ends the same on both so that when the traverser is connected it can still join the board where it is attached now, or it can bolt onto the end of the board where the depot scene is likely to be.

The plan is also that this extra depot scene can then be removed and operate as a mini-layout. Meaning that the whole layout could be moved, or just the depot scene board on its own. Due to this, the layout can now be operated using various sizes, to suit the crew available, or the size of the venue. With the new boards there are at least 4 different configurations the layout could run with; being;

1. Full layout, with extension

2. Full straight layout, minus planned extentension

3. Straight layout minus, Latherbrush bridge board

4. Future depot board minus rest of layout.

Plans are still being reviewed for the signals on the layout to go to DCC operation, but the last exhibition it was found that operation worked well with them wired up as they are at present.

All this means that the layout is sure to grow in terms of size, but also in terms of its operation and future. Some areas of the scenery on the main board are also set to be revisited to increase their accuracy and general appearance.

Hope this is interesting, will try to get more pictures on it soon.

Best wishes to all this Christmas!  

So, following on from the review and discussions had with my brother about the layout this Christmas, the plans for the extension are being placed again as a longer term issue, although that was pretty much accepted. Some of the last stuff I could part-ex has been taken to a certain shop down in Sheffield and swapped. Back came Scotsman, Tornado and a Black 5 that will have to be returned - but with these were buildings for the new depot scene. A two road shed and a modern depot building were purchased. More will be needed as this board takes shape, but new developments on the existing boards will come first. 

When talking about the layout and how it was operating, the point work came up for review. The usual conversation went along the lines of 'what you should have is' and then followed through more seriously. It was decided that the discussion brought about a good idea to remodel the main station approach and change a point for a double slip, allowing the shunt move to proceed much more quickly and sensibly, without the need to propel onto the main line. It gives the loading area access to two lines without fouling the mainline allowing stock to be swapped over. Changing this means that full utilisation of the circuits can be done and another point added for a headshunt for the shunter to sit in as the train arrives for unloading. 

The work wont be easy. Points need to be recited and the boards moved to allow access underneath. Signals might need to be moved to. But happily, having bought a double slip the space needed pretty much fits. More on this first as this will be the next task to be undertaken. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

A bit of an update.

First of all the name: while all this is theory, Im considering changing the name of the layout slightly. It was meant to be based upon a ficiticous what if sinaero for the layout. What if Weardale Railway became a marvellous success, what if Wilsons Forge, became Wilsons Logistics and brought in steel and goods as a distributor by rail still, rather than being flattened and an Asda being built instead.

The fact is that the layout, while very loosely based on an area of the town, actually bares little resemblance to the area it is supposed to represent. While the station today is sited on the same area as it stands, the preservation station isnt there, nor is the shed. Instead theres a grass bank and a nursing home.

People do look at the railway and make reference to it. Some note the familiarity and recognise landmarks. The main bridge over the main station area is one icconic feature and the area where the line would branch off to West Auckland and beyond to Barnard Castle is modelled whereas it was more filled in. Latherbrush bridge is also noted, if different to the locations real shape and outline. Oddly enough, some people do think that the line is accurate, and ask if the station is there. Its funny how the mind plays tricks and some genuinely think the model is accurate.

Instead Im thinking of naming it, 'Bishop Oakland' just because so much is different. To be honest it will barely make any difference. The layout will still run and operate much as it has done before and the same areas of interest will exist, being the steam engines bringing trains on and off Weardale and the mainline having freight arrive in between service trains.

However, the name change will be more of a nod to the fact that its based on the area, rather than a true reflection of it. I'm considering the change, but might just leave it as it is for now.

• 3 months later...

Its been a while and the lack of photos is something I have noted - so will try and post some in the near future.

Meanwhile, its a week to go before the layout is again back out on the exhibition circuit - with the layout to attend the layout on 3rd and 4th of June. Now, the process of forming a crew has brought new people to give me a hand to move and opperate the layout. So that is a much more welcome sight as it means that I dont have to rely on family as much to move it although they will be around.

With the move to a new house, the layout has been placed in the garage and had work done. This is mostly to trackwork and electrics to improve operation and make changes that were needed.

Firstly, the main shed and stabling area needed to be renewed as the approach was out of gauge and engines were catching themselves on the brickwork that was being a retaining wall. This has been demolished and the track work taken up. It was apparent that the layout had an awful lot of track work on it and as a result could have done with more scenery. The head shunt has been removed that used to be a line to the former turntable, leaving the two lines up the gradient and into the shed. The shed itself will have limited facilities as the main one is supposed to be further up the line. With the track put back in place the shed is being wired up to take lights installed onto the shed roof. That with some smaller storage sheds should equip the area to somewhere near finished. At least for now.

The other main change has been the installation of a double slip over the main station throat area down near the network rail end. This will allow freight straight into the holding line before then backing into the loading area. Here, a headshunt has been installed off the line to the main station so that the shunter can be parked up at the correct end of the train to then drop onto the end of it while the train engine then returns to the holding line. The double slip from the loading area grants access into platform 1 meaning that the two halves of the train can be swapped over easily, with the empty half going onto the loaded half, prior to dragging the whole lot back to the holding line and ready for departure.

This is all installed, save for a signal on the new headshunt to be wired in - so that come the next weekend its all ready to go and become the standard operation.

At the show on 3/4 June there will also be a number of new engines making a debut:

DP1 - Deltic Pioneer, in the National Collection

GBRF 66720, 66745

31470 North Eastern​ in BR Large Logo blue

37405, 37423 Spirit of the Lakes, 37424/558 Avro Vulcan 558, 68005 Intrepid and 68019 Brutus on DRS locomotive workings

J94 68023 and Hunselt Austerity Wilbert

Q6's 63395 and 63398 

L4 67804 in BR Green

60163 Tornado

60103 Flying Scotsman

Black 5 45407 The Lancashire Fusilier

67029 Royal Diamond in EWS Silver

34046 Braunton​ now has a correct modified tender

45699 Galatea in WCRC Maroon

and... a certain 98818 in WCRC Black...

Edit: A1, A3 and L4 added.

At the show on 3/4 June there will also be a number of new engines making a debut:

Will that be Shildon?

John

Yes - due to be at Shildon Model Railway Exhibition at Locomotion museum.

I would post details, but don't know what other layouts are going. Anyone from here going should say "Hi"...

Archived