53807 at Bailey Gate

Received Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust's "Pines Express" no, 293 - Summer 2019 yesterday. Lovely photo on the front cover of 73054 at my home station of Bailey Gate on a Bournemouth to Bath service on Wednesday 26th August 1964. Lurking  in one of the sidings shunting milk tankers is 53807. This may have been the last occasion of 53807, and indeed any of the 7F 2-8-0s, south of Templecombe and Evercreech Junction as she was withdrawn in September 1964, the last of her kind in BR service. Looking carefully at 53807's tender in the photo by Rodney Hughes it seems that that the tender of 53807 might have derailed or are my eyes deceiving me? Anyone know of a derailment then??

I don't have that magazine, so I don't know if I am barking up the wrong tree.

I am currently browsing through some books and found that there are quite a few occasions where the tenders don't seem to be in line with the loco.

As I don't have the magazine you mention, I can't see if it is a similar situation, but there are pictures where the backside of the tender is much higher than the front side. I can imagine that a low water level comined with a large supply of coal might be the cause.

Or I am totally wrong...

Michael

• RMweb Premium

The train on the cover picture would have been the up mail 3.40 Bournemouth to Bristol.  I took a picture from a similar position in April 1964 showing the same train, also hauled by 73054.  It was a regular procedure for the loco working the afternoon Poole to Templecombe freight to shunt milk tankers onto the rear of the up mail which was given a few extra minutes in the timetable compared to other up stopping trains.  Strangely, the 1955 Working Time Table shows the freight arriving at Bailey Gate on weekdays at 3.35 but not leaving until 7.35!  In my picture the wagons of the up freight were left alongside the down platform whilst the milk tankers were being shunted so I am puzzled by their absence in the PE293 picture.  It was surely unusual for a 7F to be used on this freight working, the return working of the 6.35 Evercreech to Poole.  From photographs 4Fs seem to be the most frequently used though I also saw 75XXX Standards used.

Information from Peter Smith in SDRT Bulletin 150 states that milk tankers attached to the up mail would have been for destinations north of Bath. 

The coaches look like green mark 1s to me.

• Like 1