Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

1870 dated Tech drawing of Loco

• RMweb Premium

. . . . . . . . and a pleasure to meet you too. That's a very good drawing considering it was done by a 22 year old fitter - now days it would all be done on a computer screen but which one could be said to be more skilled than the other . . . . ?

Mike

56 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

. . . . . . . . and a pleasure to meet you too. That's a very good drawing considering it was done by a 22 year old fitter - now days it would all be done on a computer screen but which one could be said to be more skilled than the other . . . . ?

Mike

The skill is in laying out a drawing like that so that those who are assembling the machine know what it should look like when it's complete. When CAD first came in, it was seen by some as a way of speeding up drawing time, but if something needs designing, it needs designing. Where CAD does score is in standardisation and reproducibility. I wonder if he was a fitter after a job in the drawing office?

• Thanks 1

For a while I worked for a company that made steel work for buildings including football stadia.  They drawing office had some neat CAD that a standard portal building could be drawn in a matter of minutes by putting in the few key dimensions.

CAD came into its own as the attached works had computer controlled cutters for the girders and a machine to cut and drill the base plates for the ends.  Sites were sent an email with the CAD and I remember going to St James at Newcastle sorting out a PC in the site office.

That is very nice and recently I have seen many draws of drawings in the archives of cranes and locos. Many have parts drawn at 1:1 others 1:12 and scales between.  Many are logical ratios for imperial measurements.

Interesting, a long boiler outside cylinder  2-4-0 tank..  Was it drawn from an actual loco I wonder?   I know the angle of the photo distorts it but the slide bars look too close together to allow the con rods to swing correctly,   Driving wheels look like 5ft 2" and carrying wheels 3ft.   The boiler diameter looks tiny.  Really neat drawing though.   Wouldn't like to ride on that brute with its tiny wheelbase and long boiler and outside cylinders,  A recipe for evil riding!   Wonder who will be first to make a model of it.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

I think more information is needed before a set of GA's could be produced followed by the model.

As someone who has spent his working life using CAD and a pencil the thought process of designing hasn't changed what has changed is now you can draw in 3D and see the object and how it interacts with the other parts before they are manufactured.

Marc

13 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Interesting, a long boiler outside cylinder  2-4-0 tank..  Was it drawn from an actual loco I wonder?   I know the angle of the photo distorts it but the slide bars look too close together to allow the con rods to swing correctly,   Driving wheels look like 5ft 2" and carrying wheels 3ft.   The boiler diameter looks tiny.  Really neat drawing though.   Wouldn't like to ride on that brute with its tiny wheelbase and long boiler and outside cylinders,  A recipe for evil riding!   Wonder who will be first to make a model of it.

I believe it is one of the rebuilds of early 2-4-0 tender locos into saddle tanks that York Works were undertaking at the time.  I have seen a picture of another one  (in NE record vol3 I think).

Edited to add:

There is a picture of No. 345 on p 59 of NE Record V3.  It is very similar, but with detail differences (a cab and taller chimney among others) but has the same crossheads.

Text says that of the old 2-4-0 tender locos were converted to saddle tanks in the early 1870s, so given the 1870 date this could have been one of the first to be modified. Apparently, they only lasted a short time as 2-4-0's, being rebuilt as 0-6-0ST's with new frames wheels and inside cylinders (commonly known as an accountant rebuild, I believe).  Doesn't say what the original locomotives were.  Earlier in the book, there are pictures of a R Stephenson & Co for the Newcastle and Darlington Junction which looks quite similar (but the one illustrated was scrapped without conversion).  Other possibilities are available though.

Edited by eastglosmog
Added a bit more info
  • Informative/Useful 1