LMS Stanier 2-6-0 Mogul Hybrid Kit Build

• RMweb Gold

After a short break from building kits and actually working on the layout (signaling etc) I have now returned and attacked the "to-do" box. Unfortunately, instead of getting smaller, the "to-do" box is growing considerably.

Next on the workbench is a bit of a hybrid. It all started with an impulse buy on Ebay. I thought I was buying a full kit, but instead, I purchased a chassis. A Jamieson 5P4F 2-6-0 Super-structure kit to be precise.

Upon opening the box, there were no instructions, and I realized I only had the mainframes, cylinders, motion gear, coupling rods, spacers, pony truck, tender frames and wheels.  No loco body, brake gear, or tender body.

After a bit of research, and a few weeks of waiting to see if a Jamieson body kit would turn up on Ebay, I decided to purchase a "Green Arrow" Stanier Mogul resin body (includes separate w/m chimney, resin backhead and spacer). There does not seem to be any other kits available for the Mogul. I also purchased the full LMS Fowler tender kit from Wizard. Wheels were purchased from Alan Gibson along with crankpins etc.

And so the build begins:

A little bit of hacking and filing necessary to get the body to fit nicely on the mainframes but i'm almost there! Holes for the axles seem to be pre-drilled to the right size for the axles so I assume there is no need to open out and solder bearings? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

First pic - Right hand side above the front bogie recess was subjected to cutting and filing in order for the cylinder block to fit under the body and the body sit nice on the frames.

20190612_070942_resized.jpg.76574629232b3c37d29342879abfea6c.jpg

Second pic shows cast cylinder block in position

20190612_071027_resized.jpg.82ee80795dcc6e10f3c2503336949f62.jpg

3rd pic is with the body resting on the chassis. A small section from the left of the chassis has to be removed to make space for the cab floor and again, so the body sits level.

20190612_071106_resized.jpg.49cc2c4634f1996159d01c4b8ae962a8.jpg

Body needs a little more clean up to remove flash and the large cut out in the chassis needs filling with brass/plasticard as I will be using a Comet or Branchlines gearbox with a Mashima 1620/1624 motor probably off the middle axle.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
Changed tender from Stanier type to correct Fowler type!!!
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Thought you had discovered a new supplier, Golden rather than Green Arrow? However a good way of realising the original Jamiesen kit. I see that you use the really useful Poppy's Chassis Jig - simple but good.

Good luck with the project and looking forward to the following your progress.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Richard.  I should have spotted that simple error!!!

Progress report.

Chassis almost complete. Brakes and bogie to sort along with pick ups. I have tested the 3 axles with the coupling hooks and sorted out the binding et .

Motion gear can now be assembled and fully tested. 

For the body i have almost fitted the detail parts. Just a whistle on order. The detailing parts were sourced from various suppliers or made using stuff i had in stock.

20190618_065626.jpg

20190618_065633.jpg

20190618_065717.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more progress on the Mogul. Fitted the pony, sand boxes/pipes and motion gear - took a lot of fiddling and fettling as I was using the motion gear which came with the Jamieson chassis kit and it is quite crude compared to a Comet/Alan Gibson set. It works though which is the main thing. Also found some front steps from an old kits. 

I still have a few parts to fit n the body before giving it a good clean, coat of paint then I can number and line it.

I am also just started working on the Comet Fowler Tender kit to go with it.

20190704_071416_resized.jpg.06bc8194a179ed34065b13f34b6fcc8c.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a spell of enjoying the good weather, summer holiday and working on other projects, I have now almost completed the Mogul. Crew and coal added. Just tools, DCC decoder and weathering to add and it will be finished.

20190903_092626_resized.jpg.699a8e291c048d7034c96b235ba21411.jpg

• Like 4

On 05/09/2019 at 16:21, ianLMS said:

After a spell of enjoying the good weather, summer holiday and working on other projects, I have now almost completed the Mogul. Crew and coal added. Just tools, DCC decoder and weathering to add and it will be finished.

20190903_092626_resized.jpg.699a8e291c048d7034c96b235ba21411.jpg

What a fantastic model! Ihave Bachmann's released version of it already.

• Like 1