Visit to the vets this morning (the girl has had a dickie stomach this past few days) and then on to the workbench to work on client's stock.

However I'm throwing around ideas for the scenic breaks for the layout. The Tramway will disappear next to the station master's house. I'll also add another building on the other side so the railway will essentially disappear between two (which I think visually will work well).

The other end of the layout has had me scratching my head over a suitable scenic break. The idea I'm thinking at the moment, is using the Thomas Cousin's agricultural workshop, to block the view into the fiddle yard.

1924889136_Screenshot2020-08-12at08_43_01.png.2daa1f2e2184eda53588c82b060dd2cd.png

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Some temporary track laying to see how things are going to look. It's all very much fitting in nicely!

DSC07479.jpeg

DSC07485.jpeg

Man, Thomas is really trying to get back at Percy! I wonder what he did this time?

In all seriousness though, that all looks really good! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Edited by TrainMan2001
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking very good so far. A detail I will commend you on is that this is the first "adaptation" I've seen where the size difference between Thomas and Percy is apparent. Despite Thomas's shortening compared to the prototype his larger size (and weight) was certainly the Rev. Awdry's intent as it was relevant to several stories. But the illustrations usually failed to depict this (and let's not get into the "inflated" Percy of the TV series).

Percy'sPedicamentRS8.png

TrainStopsPlayRS1.png

Drip-TankRS7.png

Edited by Kumata
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kumata said:

Looking very good so far. A detail I will commend you on is that this is the first "adaptation" I've seen where the size difference between Thomas and Percy is apparent. Despite Thomas's shortening compared to the prototype his larger size (and weight) was certainly the Rev. Awdry's intent as it was relevant to several stories. But the illustrations usually failed to depict this (and let's not get into the "inflated" Percy of the TV series).

You make a very good point regarding Thomas’s size, and to be honest there is only one illustration in the Railway Series where I feel he looks like a modified to all extents and purposes....an E2. Notice the ornate lining around Cab front and tank edge (no I’m not doing it :lol:).

8EFFAAAD-869B-4E04-AE6F-A34A0082D4CA.jpeg.dcda68605eb06678c7cd90ef55deebd0.jpeg

As for TV series....what TV series? ;)

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 3

Funny how the colour comes out on a photo under different lighting.

After three coats I’m happy (this is a far better representation of the real colour).

68737A50-C727-418F-817A-42ED97D64D1B.jpeg

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 hours ago, fastforwardtt said:

Some nice models there but I'd argue that the tractor in the book Tramway is not a Ferguson for a start. Whoever writes on the wiki page needs to do more research as to tractors in general. Never seen one with hub caps before... 
Tractor in the books looks like a David Brown 880 or 990 with the front end. Reason I'd argue against it being the Ford 5000 is that they never started to produce a proper cab for them until 1971. Not sure how likely it would have been for any artist to have seen or known about the cab design. Still it does have a Ford look to it though.

The AEC Majestic is another lovely model but with many of the newer AEC Matadors and designs coming out of the company the Majestic would more likely to be a private owner wagon. Not to say it couldn't be branded BRS but good chance it would have been replaced by the end of 1959.

Lovely seeing the progress on this layout. Feel honoured to have been able to help with regards a timetable and signal diagram too. The modelling is a joy to view and inspiring as well.

Edited by BritishGypsum4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Lovely seeing the progress on this layout. Feel honoured to have been able to help with regards a timetable and signal diagram too. The modelling is a joy to view and inspiring as well.

and I very much appreciate all the help you've given. I very much look on Ffarquhar as our project. :)

Tonight's modelling, ready for toning down on Monday.

117816380_10157847552292984_6934425417095811087_o.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Great looking stuff that. Gives a lot of character! I'd be tempted to put a black box with the BR numbering in the bottom left hand corner aswell.

How did you do the old LMS lettering. When I've done it in the past I've just hacked at it with the Stanley knife but I'd be interested to know if you have a different method :biggrin_mini2:

IMG_20200718_222759.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Great looking stuff that. Gives a lot of character! I'd be tempted to put a black box with the BR numbering in the bottom left hand corner aswell.

How did you do the old LMS lettering. When I've done it in the past I've just hacked at it with the Stanley knife but I'd be interested to know if you have a different method :biggrin_mini2:

IMG_20200718_222759.jpg

Very nice.
Regarding the LMS, the previous owner had handwritten it and I just started rubbing it away.

I wasn't originally going to touch the handwritten number, but after seeing yours that's a nice idea. With NW prefix too!

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Very nice.
Regarding the LMS, the previous owner had handwritten it and I just started rubbing it away.

I wasn't originally going to touch the handwritten number, but after seeing yours that's a nice idea. With NW prefix too!

I think it tells a good story of the van.

Built by the LMS 1924 sold to the NWR sometime before 1936 who quickly applied their lettering.

By the time it came round to BR ownership they just stuck the BR number on leaving traces of the original liveries still present.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I think it tells a good story of the van.

Built by the LMS 1924 sold to the NWR sometime before 1936 who quickly applied their lettering.

By the time it came round to BR ownership they just stuck the BR number on leaving traces of the original liveries still present.

Ha, great minds! I wrote something very similar in my private Facebook group.

966001842_Screenshot2020-08-15at21_59_08.png.6c4f98b2a73392262bd4be40266025e4.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

On that note, I was going to ask if you had any thoughts about linking Cwm Prysor up to create an extended run into Ffarquhar?

I’m afraid not. I’ve never been a fan of mixing genres (even as a child). I love they are both individual ‘worlds’ and I can essentially disappear into either, if that makes sense.

• Like 4