Auto-trailers 99-104: where and when?

I know next to nothing about the GWR (despite growing up on the route of the GW&GC joint line: I was more drawn to the GCR side of things), but I was looking for examples of straight-sided, matchboarded stock recently and came across this drawing of auto-trailers 99-104 (converted from steam railmotors). Please could anyone give me some information about where these coaches were used and how long they remained in use? Thanks

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Pages 148 - 153 of Great Western Auto Trailers Part One by John Lewis (Wild Swan isbn 0906867991) specifically covers these vehicles (Diagram Z). Converted during 1915, withdrawn from late 1950, last one in 1955. Mostly noted in South Wales, but also at Exeter, Cheltenham and Abbotsbury from the photos in the book.

• Thanks 1

They were converted in 1915 and were condemned between 1950 and 1955. (101 in 1950, 102 in 1951, 99 & 104 in 1952, 103 in 1953 and 100 in 1955) John Lewis's book doesn't identify all the particular services they were used on, as they were moved around freely, thanks to their compatability with similar trailers. They seem to have spent much of their life in Wales, around Cardiff, Newport, Pontypool, Cowbridge and Whitchurch, but were noted at various other locations, fom time to time, such as Abbotsbury, Exeter, Cheltenham, Woodstock and Weymouth.

(Sorry, Jon, started typing this earlier and forgot to send)

Edited by Nick Holliday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1