How to make a Mainline 4mt last longer

Hi all,

In a previous thread I said that I planned to put new pick ups on my failing Mainline 4mt. This was due to it's poor running caused by the original pick ups beginning to wear out. Now this is a common problem with most split chassis engines. Plasticbasher asked if I would post how I did it. So here it is. Now you must understand that this is the first time I have attempted this so it is not as pretty as it could be. This more a proof of concept trial with an engine that was basically scrap.

This method I believe could be used for any split chassis loco's.

So here is what you need.

2 Triang Hornby Jinty style pick ups.

4 very small self tapping screws. I used 4x3mm self tapping screws from my spares box.

Super glue.

Small screwdriver.

1 piece of twin wire or 2 pieces of single core wire approx. 6 ins long.

Soldering iron and solder.

Small drill and a 2mm,3mm,4mm drill bits.

First separate the pick ups from their baseplates.

Mark up where you want the pick ups to go one the engine base plate. Use that position to work out where you want to solder the wire on to the pick ups.

Separate the body from the chassis.

Take off the engines plastic baseplate and drill a hole through the base plate where you want the wires from the pick ups to go. The size of the hole is dependant on how big the wire is you are using. Then put back the base plate.

Take your pick ups and slide the wire through the hole you have drilled and between the 2 sides of the split chassis to where you want it to exit. Make sure that you do not foul the axels with the wire.

Next tack the pick ups on to the place you want them to be with a little super glue. You do not need a lot as the glue is only to hold the pick ups in place while you drill the holes for the small screws to hold the pick ups firmly in place It does not matter if you drill a little in to the chassis. If your screws stick into the chassis this will only increase the electrical contact.

The next bit is a little more delicate. The metal springs that hold the bushes in will not allow solder to stick so you need scrape off some of the plastic coating on the screws at the end of the springs. BEFORE YOU SOLDER THE WIRES, Make sure you are connecting the correct wire to the correct terminal. After all you do not want to burn out the motor. Once you are sure which wire is going where solder them in place. It is a tight fit to get the chassis back into the body so make sure you have positioned the wires to avoid this. If you are some one who is not very confident with a soldering iron get some else to do the soldering for you so you do not damage your engine.

Once you are happy that the pick ups are working you can oil the original bearings/pick up points to stop/reduce any further wear and tear

Please see the pictures of where and how I did this. For the time I have had This 4mt it has never run as well as it does now with the new pick ups. I was on the point of putting it on Ebay for spares and repairs. Now I will keep it.

This fix cost me the princely sum of £3.65 for the pick ups.

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0828.JPG

DSC_0830.JPG

DSC_0832.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looks good. I am trying to fit pickups to a Bachmann split chassis 4MT after doing a B1 and a Lord Nelson but hiding the pickup is a challenge. Your solution looks like the answer.  I only connect the pickup to the chassis half rather than to the motor which might be easier.

Hi David,

The motor in the Bachmann engine is slightly different as you see from my Mainline picture. So I think the way you fit the wiring to the chassis blocks it think it would be easier. How do you make the connection. Do you screw the wires in or have you found a way to solder the wires to the chassis sides.