Painting Trains and Converting Analogue Trains to Digital

I Have a Second hand Class 47, which is quite old, and i am considering it for a Repaint. I would like to make it a Digital model but it is not a DCC Ready model. Could anyone give me some advice on how I could convert it or who would be able to do so, and what would anyone recommend for painting techniques?

• RMweb Gold

This forum is a vast repository of knowledge, and a little bit of searching in the following topics will give you most, if not all, of the information you seek. There is a lot of it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/62-dcc-fitting-guides/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/29-weathering-painting-transfers/

• RMweb Gold

Painting techniques are very much down to personal preference and what works for you,  Take the body off the chassis and remove the glazing, and clean it is warm soapy water before you start, and try techniques and different types of paint out on disposable test pieces before you attack your 47.  My personal preference is for acrylic paint, which does not smell unpleasant used indoors in the living area of my home and is easily thinned and manipulated on the brush, but is fussy as to the surface it is applied to and may need priming, for which I use either Halford's rattlecan grey acrylic or matt varnish.  Brush cleaning is easy with acrylic as well.

Paint in a well ventilated dust free environment.  I prefer to spray outside on the patio, and a calm dust free dry warm day is needed for this.  Spray flows more easily if you warm the can in hot, but not boiling, water first, and use a rag to hold the can.

Can't help with the DCC, I'm a DC Luddite who doesn't understand it and can't afford it...