RMweb

METCALFE ENGINE SHED

• RMweb Premium

I've just compared the photos on the Metcalfe website with my old example. The clerestory roof has gained proper louvres in place of the flat printed ones on the original; the smoke vents have been re-drawn with horizontal bands at intervals; and a walkway along the lower edge of the lights has been added. The main walls have gained a blue brick base and the office has been redesigned. Are the rafters now laser-cut? The original was a very passable impression of a small Midland straight shed of the 1880s/1890s - Ilkley or Mansfield, though the latter was a 4-road shed - two kits conjoined. Stack many up and you'd get Sheffield Millhouses! The re-vamp seems to me to dilute this a bit - the blue brick is a bit dubious.

It's also offered in a grey ashlar "Settle Carlisle" version - PO337 - which is dodgy on two counts: firstly, Metcalfe's ashlar isn't very Settle-Carlisle like - the SuperQuick ashlar or rubble papers are much more the thing - and secondly, there were no engine sheds on the Settle & Carlisle. The nearest approach would be Hellifield; Durran Hill was a roundhouse of the square variety. There was a proposal for a one-road shed at Appleby (? or Hawes Junction?) that came to nothing. Perhaps this is Metcalfe's tribute to Marthwaite.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, paul 27 said:

I presume is better for making a multiple shed.

I see no reason why the old should be preferred over the new should be better for that. I think the new roof detail looks better, but personally I'd prefer to have the old walls and office building.

On 19/07/2019 at 17:58, Compound2632 said:

The original was a very passable impression of a small Midland straight shed of the 1880s/1890s - Ilkley

It's also offered in a grey ashlar "Settle Carlisle" version - PO337 - which is dodgy on two counts: firstly, Metcalfe's ashlar isn't very Settle-Carlisle like - the SuperQuick ashlar or rubble papers are much more the thing - and secondly, there were no engine sheds on the Settle & Carlisle.

If you'd left it without stating a location, I'd agree - passable for a generic MR 2 road shed. However, Ilkley it is not. (Only 1 window per sidewall bay, no central pillar between the two roads through the doorway, wrong style of vent above the doors, ...).  Also, Ilkey was dressed stone - not brick.

Therefore, the latter (PO337) they have put in their S&C range as that is how they sell their MR stone structures, but again it is passable as a MR stone shed.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Fair do's. The Metcalfe kit is generic enough to look typically Midland without in fact being anywhere in particular - which in some ways is ideal. Sorry I didn't pay enough attention when thumbing through Hawkins & Reeve, LMS Engine Sheds Vol. 2 for examples to spot that Ilkley was stone not brick.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...