A3 corridor tender

doilum

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Highly unlikely - all the corridor tenders were behind A4s long before that ..................................................... unless anyone knows otherwise !!?!

Feared so. Just clutching at straws. Looks like a Waterman era tribute loco then. On the other hand, given a boiler and cab from the Mallard...........

There was only 10 of the original style non-streamlined corridor tenders built, and as they were only of use for the summer only 'Flying Scotsman'  non-stops, they were quickly transferred to A4s on their introduction.

Quick check of the RCTS 'green book', the last A3 to run in service with a corridor tender was 2750 Papyrus in Sept. 1937

Edited by Ken.W
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken.W said:

There was only 10 of the original style non-streamlined corridor tenders built, and as they were only of use for the summer only 'Flying Scotsman'  non-stops, they were quickly transferred to A4s on their introduction.

Quick check of the RCTS 'green book', the last A3 to run in service with a corridor tender was 2750 Papyrus in Sept. 1937

Many thanks for that.  So, given the boiler and tender provided, the Hatchette A3 is only correct for the early 1930s period?

Once upon a time , I semi scratch built an A4 from an A4 models "kit", I suddenly have that feeling of deja vu again.

Sorry but not familiar with the kit, which boilers provided?

But yeah, A1/A3s with corridor tenders in service were from 1928-37.

4472 of course, has spent the majority of it's time in preservation in LNER green with a corridor tender. The tenders were swapped and it repainted in LNER on withdrawl from service.

(even though this one wasn't rebuilt as A3 till post-war and so was still A1 when it had a corridor tender in service)

* A1 here referring to original Gresley design

• Informative/Useful 1

I have just reacquainted myself with " a tangle of tenders". Wish I had it whilst building Wild Swan in the mid 90s. I still have the Roche and Skinley drawings of the different tenders. One option might be to modify the tender parts into the non corridor version. I would have to establish if there any significant differences, apart from the banjo dome, between the original A1 and end  of service A3 boiler.

On the other hand, the Hatchette tender would be perfect for a BR Seagull!

On 28/07/2019 at 22:14, doilum said:

I have just reacquainted myself with " a tangle of tenders". Wish I had it whilst building Wild Swan in the mid 90s. I still have the Roche and Skinley drawings of the different tenders. One option might be to modify the tender parts into the non corridor version. I would have to establish if there any significant differences, apart from the banjo dome, between the original A1 and end  of service A3 boiler.

On the other hand, the Hatchette tender would be perfect for a BR Seagull!

The most telling difference with the original A1 boiler, it doesn't have the superheater header covers either side of the snifter valve behind the chimney.

Even the dome's not so simple, the first 'High Pressure' A3 boilers still had round domes, before the banjo domes first appeared

Then there was also a batch of round domed replacement A3 boilers built under Thompson, the last of these being in service with Captain Cuttle when the loco had German Blinkers

In BR days quite a number of A3s carried A4 boilers - look for the pair of large wash-out plugs on the firebox side not level with each other

The tank of a corridor tender's wider than that of a non-corridor, hence the lip along the bottom of the tank side on a non-corridor, and absent on a corridor tender

(a modeller with a dozen A3s - all with some detail difference!)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for this information. Once upon a time I could give chapter and verse on the tenders but had forgotten that the width related to the corridor or lack of. I.had confused it with the first ten corridor tender which had A3 origins. I may well scratch build the tender body in brass and save all the corridor parts in case I decide I need another A4. Time to seek out a modestly priced copy of Yeadon's A3 register.

Thanks

For modelling purposes I'd recommend the 'green book' - RCTS 'Locos of the LNER', part 2A.Generally available from their stand or other second-hand book stands at model shows.

Yeadons, though I've just flicked through on stalls didn't seem much use for modelling, list of shopping dates, boiler and tender numbers etc without detail of which types they were.

Seemed lacking also in details of if / when other detail differences were made.

On 28/07/2019 at 11:13, doilum said:

Many thanks for that.  So, given the boiler and tender provided, the Hatchette A3 is only correct for the early 1930s period?

Once upon a time , I semi scratch built an A4 from an A4 models "kit", I suddenly have that feeling of deja vu again.

On 31/07/2019 at 00:02, Ken.W said:

The most telling difference with the original A1 boiler, it doesn't have the superheater header covers either side of the snifter valve behind the chimney.

Even the dome's not so simple, the first 'High Pressure' A3 boilers still had round domes, before the banjo domes first appeared

Then there was also a batch of round domed replacement A3 boilers built under Thompson, the last of these being in service with Captain Cuttle when the loco had German Blinkers

In BR days quite a number of A3s carried A4 boilers - look for the pair of large wash-out plugs on the firebox side not level with each other

The tank of a corridor tender's wider than that of a non-corridor, hence the lip along the bottom of the tank side on a non-corridor, and absent on a corridor tender

(a modeller with a dozen A3s - all with some detail difference!)

If modelling an A3 with a corridor tender, make sure you get the cab shape right as usually the cabs had the bigger cut out rather than the later smaller one.

Regards

Simon

2 hours ago, slilley said:

If modelling an A3 with a corridor tender, make sure you get the cab shape right as usually the cabs had the bigger cut out rather than the later smaller one.

Regards

Simon

Thanks. Might never have noticed that. Having completed the cataloging of all the parts and issues, today I made a rough 12mm/ foot drawing and annotated the parts and instructions from each issue. It is now boxed away so I can focus on using the remainder of the summer on garden and stable related tasks. Sadly, I discovered that my brothers Triang scotsman ( with chuffing tender) has succumbed to the dreaded maxak cancer as has his Britannia despite careful dry storage.

On 31/07/2019 at 17:57, Ken.W said:

Thanks

For modelling purposes I'd recommend the 'green book' - RCTS 'Locos of the LNER', part 2A.Generally available from their stand or other second-hand book stands at model shows.

Yeadons, though I've just flicked through on stalls didn't seem much use for modelling, list of shopping dates, boiler and tender numbers etc without detail of which types they were.

Seemed lacking also in details of if / when other detail differences were made.

Having found a minute to browse my bookshelf, I find I have the green "bible". I had forgotten it covers A1 ,to A10 so I bought it about 25 years ago when I built Wild Swan.