Have I got a faulty decoder ??

Shedmaster 47

Hi all, apologies if my question has been addressed elsewhere already....

Having read through many threads about Hornby TTS sound decoder issues ,I thought I would seek a few "2nd opinions " before contacting Hornby to complain !!

I've bought a new TTS class 66 decoder and fitted it into my bachman class 57/3  just to test it out (  patiently awaiting new release of 47 tts decoders ) ....

I am using an NCE powercab  and have a short ( 4ft ) separate test track set up as a program/ test track ...

The loco worked fine on both DC and also DCC with no issues ..

When I fitted the TTS however it runs with the sound on ( engine ) and will play spot sounds .

It runs for a few inches then either stops altogether or runs but the sound stops !!  It will restart after a few seconds only when I return the throttle to zero  and open it up again !!

This would indicate overheating of the chip !!

It feels cold to touch though !! I understand that bachman motors only pull 250mill amps and that the TTS will handle 500mil amps ..

SO ,is my chip faulty ??

The decoder is not wrapped up just held down to the circuit board with a bit of double sided tape !!

Any help would be most welcome .

Thanks Allan

Thanks Richard ,but yes I've not modified the chip in any way at all ....

Small question ,could I use the "track - current" function on my NCE powercab, to freform a stall test of said loco ,without causing damage to the controller...just to see what the loco is " actually"  pulling in the way of current ?

Thanks again ..