Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann 08 DCC Sound and Light functions

I have a Bachmann 08 fitted with a LokSound decoder which runs perfectly (unlike several Hornby examples to which I will need to add stay alives), and which has lights fitted, the four lights at the ends independently operated by F4, F5, F6, and F0.  F4, F5, and F6 also control sound functions. I say has, but the truth is it had, as I've mucked it up !  The horn volume was too low and not thinking straight I decided simple to reset the decoder with a CV8=8 reset, followed by individual sound level adjustments. Surprise, surprise, the only light now operational is the one controlled by F0.  I'm sure there must be a simple answer to this, but having searched I cannot find it.  Can anyone suggest how to remap the other three lights back to their F4, F5, and F6 sound function keys, or even remap all the lights to F0; 08s often wandered around with lights on at both ends anyway, and I'd settle for that if I cannot remap separately. There must be a detailed "How To" manual for all sorts of detailed cv adjustments and settings for different makes of DCC Sound Decoders somewhere, but I have not been able to find it. With the excellent Zimo decoders, I'm told the secret is to understand the manual - oh that it was that simple !

Download JMRI Decoder pro and re-map your function keys to do what you want. It's not difficult. Always be careful doing a decoder reset with a sound decoder. You will not loose the sounds, but you can loose how the sounds respond to the motor.

Not a Bachmann, but a Hornby with red and white LEDs in six positions on a Loksound V4.DSC_9017-9FoStmod.jpg.30464c2c13ab7f8feea858d3ee609a7d.jpg

• Agree 1

Thank you both so much for your kind responses. As I have a variety of decoders, I will do both and remove some of the hit and miss effects of the labourious trawl through multiple CV settings manually to get the results I want.

Love the atmospheric photo Yardman - shows the Hornby 08 to excellent effect in a stunning 1960s setting. I am old enough sadly to have been living in the North East at that time when DMUs ruled, certainly post 1967 after the North Tyneside Electrics finally bowed out, DMUs then radiating to all points from Newcastle. Now if only one of the manufacturers would market a decoder that includes the first gear hold at full throttle with every rivet rattling, and the four to five second gear change from first to second, but I digress. I do pefer the Hornby 08 model if I'm honest, but the Bachmann one wins with it's sprung centre axle that makes very slow running without stalling a dream withouit any modification. However I do have one of my Hornby 08s on the workbench presently into which I am installing a Zimo SC68 capacitor, and which is a reasonable fit having removed the bottom section of the cab interior, though I might go the whole hog and also fit a Zimo decoder if only to avoid the risk of damaging the Legoman ESU decoder as I try to solder the capacitor wires to it !