Col Stephens Ford Railcar sound

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Im off to Digitrains next week to buy a chip for my Ford Railbus kit build. Any thoughts please on sound files? I am assuming that there won't be a sound file for these, so I guess im looking for a good equivalent. As I have never heard one it's obviously not a major issue. I am thinking of the petrol simplex. Im thinking petrol engine, manual gearbox, underpowered and rattly. What other considerations might there be? Any alternative ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try to get sounds recorded from a Ford Model T car as they were based on these for the railcars.

Try a local car club or museum as they will know someone who could help you record the engine sounds. Or bank holiday weekend there might be a few at the transport rally nearby.

• Thanks 1

Although the 2nd part of the video is annoying - I like that sound.

Especially that it shifts gear down when accelerating hard, seems to be manually possible too.

Also the failed switching with the screaming noise of the gears.

Edit: just found 2 more...

https://youtu.be/lRIPc0Ptdo0

https://youtu.be/bqtOuxmkFLU  (deeper in sound!)

Edited by Hamburger
2 links added
  • Thanks 1

Picky I know, but a small Simplex had a 2-cylinder engine, and the T has four, so makes a busier sound. Both are nominal 20hp.

They do turn-up at transport rallies, and there's a pub near here where they have one that acts as a sort of signpost, but is, much to my surprise, actually a runner.

A lot depends upon the exhaust-pipe run, of course - that affects the actual sound.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all. I am definitely limited to commercially available sound files so whilst the model t suggestions are great I have no idea how I would translate that to a DCC chip. Im also pretty sure that a rail going vehicle will sound very different to the roadgoing version, not least due to the metal on metal and the altered drive train.

• RMweb Gold

Here it is as a rolling twin chassis with the simplex sound file. One problem is that the driving wheels stop almost dead as the throttle is turned off. I presume I need to play with the inertia settings. Love the claxon!!!!

Hi Colin,

Before adjusting CVs, check that F2 is not engaged or F5 is not engaged (or both of them together) as either will temporarilly reduce CV4 momentum and cause the immediate stop that you have shown. The basic sound project has enough momentum set for realistic coasting and to ensure that in normal driving, the engine will spool down to idle before motion ceases.

Another feature (if applicable) which will give the same result would be Shunt Mode if engaged.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/08/2019 at 12:42, pauliebanger said:

Hi Colin,

Before adjusting CVs, check that F2 is not engaged or F5 is not engaged 

Hi again Paul. F2 is Manifold Whistle slow on my sound file?

Am I misunderstanding?

The more I look at this on the rolling road the more it seems that speed is not responding to the throttle at all, it's just on or off.

Hi Colin,

Sorry, F2 is manual brake on many of my sound projects which would cause the effect you describe if present.Just ignore my comment on F2.

The engine speed is either Idle or Power in this project, but the gearchange and final drive whine is related to road speed. When moving, reduce throttle setting by one speed step then immediately increase it again to provoke a 'gear change'.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1