Fred Dibnahs Railway Collection

Pacific231G

Did anyone else see this series on "Blighty"- one of the UKTV digital channels- when it was stripped across the whole day yesterday (Bank Holiday Monday) ?

The series did strike me as slightly odd as it was produced last year five years after Fred's demise and it seems to have been based on using everything he ever said or did around a railway for the various series he presented that were produced by David Hall who also wrote the book "Fred" along with additional material and commentary recorded more recently to divide the material into themes. The BBC shop blurb for the series on DVD describes it as "brand new programming produced from the footage filmed over the years" but to my mind that did make it a bit disjointed in places and the same anecdotes kept reappearing sometimes more than once in a programme and some of the conversations did seem a bit stretched out.

It was worth watching though and I might even buy the boxed DVD set. The series is runnig in single episodes on Blighty at the moment but I don't know whether it was originally made for a BBC transmission or was a straight to DVD.

David

I watched it too. Like you say, themes repeated themselves, such as the clip with the chap from of the 'Lizzie' Society talking about the 6201, being shown in two consecutive episodes.

Still - anything with Fred Dibnah in it gets my vote.

Archived