Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That was the site of Abbey Foregate station, Shrewsbury terminus of the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway.  After closure of the S&M, the oil depot remained, reached by a convoluted series of reversals from the mainline.  

The site is now a carpark, but the station building has survived:  See here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I know that this goods yard probably isn't that small, but it's a nice picture. 

Halliwell, Bolton 1981 by Nigel

117 08677 25213 Halliwell 26051981

image.png.e4af3d6aa67b081c7931f8d937031074.png

It's not that big either. I would say the 25 is on the 'through' line to Astley Bridge and the 08 is on the siding leading in front of the goods shed.  With a bit of selective compression that would make a nice model.

I used to live not far from there, just the other side of north-south line on the right of the map (long after the Astley Bridge branch had closed, sadly).

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Please accept my apologies if I have posted a link to this thread here already, but I am hoping Dr Paul Shannon's forthcoming (and delayed) tome might be of interest to readers:

Hope it will be worth the wait.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moxy said:

image.png.e4af3d6aa67b081c7931f8d937031074.png

It's not that big either. I would say the 25 is on the 'through' line to Astley Bridge and the 08 is on the siding leading in front of the goods shed.  With a bit of selective compression that would make a nice model.

I used to live not far from there, just the other side of north-south line on the right of the map (long after the Astley Bridge branch had closed, sadly).

Right, it was only after I posted the picture that I found out that it was on the Astley Bridge line. It's also near the sidings for the Back O' Th Bank power station which I'm only aware of because I saw the famous battery loco at the Great Railway Exposition 1980 at Liverpool Road station.

Back O'th'Bank Power Station Bolton

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Right, it was only after I posted the picture that I found out that it was on the Astley Bridge line. It's also near the sidings for the Back O' Th Bank power station which I'm only aware of because I saw the famous battery loco at the Great Railway Exposition 1980 at Liverpool Road station.

Back O'th'Bank Power Station Bolton

Back o'th Bank Power Station closed in 1979, and I think latterly it was only the power station that kept that bit of the Astley Bridge branch open for coal trains.

If the original picture you posted, with the 08 & the 25, is taken in 1981 that was in the very last days of the branch which closed completely in the August of that year.

CEGB Bolton Battery Locomotive

by Mike Serigrapher.

The same battery electric after preservation, at Manchester Museum of Science & Industry, and a repaint into an earlier livery.

(I don't know if this loco is still at MOSI)

• Like 8

On 29/04/2024 at 19:58, tractionman said:

good call, here's a slightly larger scale map showing the lines and buildings in more detail, from 1943 but the layout looks similar to the lines in the 1981 image--https://maps.nls.uk/view/126520493

A variation on that is the geo-referenced version, where sheets are joined together and overlayed on different mapping or aerial photography, so you can see what is there now:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.1&lat=53.58951&lon=-2.42798&layers=168&b=1&o=100