Midland Heavy Yard Crane question

spikey

midland-railway-crane-rescued-from-a-rai

Ever since I built my Mike's Models kit if this crane, I've wondered what the purpose is of the two rugby coalpost-type thingies that are fixed to the rods supporting the jib.   Obviously (?) the chain goes over the thick crossbars, but ... why?  What's the point?

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Could it be to stop slack chain whacking against the boom - or anything else for that matter?

It certainly looks like an addon fitting to overcome a discovered problem.

Cheers gents.  That's all I could think.  I guess we're never going to know why, if that's the only purpose, it's so elaborate.

Ref the kit, mine was actually the first white-metal kit I'd met, and I was surprised by how easily it went together.  The finished model's nice too, although the curb chain supplied in the kit is neither use nor ornament.  I ended up using some very nice ready-blackened 42 links/inch trace chain from a website called modellingtimbers, but I believe it's no longer trading.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Looking at other yard cranes, I wonder if the central cross bar originally had a wooden roller for the chain which has now rotted away

Ahah!  If that is indeed the case, the way in which the goalpost-thingies are constructed would make far more sense to me ...

• Agree 1