Haggerleases Goods Station. New Modeler, 1st Project.

Haggerleases

Hello all.

I am new to railway modeling and I have an idea for a first project. The Haggerleases goods station near Cockfield, County Durham. (About 1 mile from my house...)

Long gone obviously, but I have seen some old photos, and some of the buildings still exist (including the goods shed) and it has whetted my appetite. There is enough there to make a start.

I am looking to do it in N gauge, Possibly 2FS? and on a 4 X 2 baseboard, perhaps with fiddle yards each side.

If any of you knowledgeable people have any ideas of exactly what the track layout looked like there, what locos would have run, types of wagons etc, and most importantly how it would have run, I'm all ears. I need all the help I can get. I may need to contact some local history groups or access museum collections/archives for more info too. I'm looking forward to this.

Kind regards

'Haggerleases'

Thats a good map. I'm interesting in modeling the area from the skew bridge, which will be at the rhs of the layout, to the point at which the line turns right and goes up what is know as Diamond hill. I was at an exhibition by the Gaunless Valley History Trust yesterday, and they had a very old static N gauge model of this very scene, but silly lad here forgot his camera! I will have to get in touch with them.

Dunno if this is any good. It doesn't show Diamond Hill pit off to the left. You can make out the track plan which remained substantially unaltered till closure apart from being truncated at the road.

719086792_BknowleSm.jpg.7f143c970b19bca6567067f60f04af1d.jpg

And there's these.

https://flic.kr/p/9BTbaf

https://flic.kr/p/9BAvzc

There was a photo essay on the branch in Railway Bylines a good few years ago showing a Tindale Std 4 MT shunting the goods.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Thanks Porcy. I've just been for a cycle ride and rode pretty much straight through the middle of this map, so at least getting good photos of existing structures shouldn't be a bother. The road used to cross the Gaunless via a ford, but now it turns right and parallels what was the track to Butterknowle before crossing the river further along. So, from the map it looks like (and please check me on this) there are two tracks crossing the skew or 'swin' bridge, one is a siding going off to the left, the other is the line to Butterknowle, which has a siding to the right possibly for coal loading/dropping? and then a 3 way turnout? one line of which goes straight on, (to Butterknowle) and two to the left, one of which is a siding for the goods shed and its triangular shaped loading platform, and the other seems to lead up to the goods shed wall.

Please forgive my dreadful beginners railway terminology!

What is referred to as the Skew bridge was a few hundred yards of so to the East of the station. This was single line, originally with sidings either side.

1760396784_BknowleSkewBsm.jpg.a2ce3119ef0f6d9c64212a8aca0879b5.jpg

The track layout over the bridge within the goods station remained essentially as shown in the map in the previous post.

Ah yes, of course, that's me being daft. I mistook the skew bridge on the map for the concrete slab one at the entrance to the goods station. I should know better, I was walking that way a few weekends ago and had to cross the Gaunless before the bridge to avoid a herd of cows, needless to say my foot slipped and I had to squelch my way home.

4 hours ago, Haggerleases said:

Hi there. I've never used that site before. It seems a little contrary to the photos I've seen, as if it's shifted to the right a bit.

Hi, sorry about that … it seems to be rather more accurate and comprehensive around my neck of the woods than it is around yours.

Having now seen the other maps posted, it does look to be a great choice for a model :good_mini:

58 minutes ago, Haggerleases said:

Might this be the Standard 4MT crossing the skew bridge

It's not one published in the mag article. Jim Sedgwick took a few when travelling up the branch on the pick up. You can usually catch him manning the RCTS stand at the NE shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone would be so good, (or so knowledgeable) to be able to identify all the engine types on this page?

http://www.durhamintime.org.uk/gaunless_valley/railways.htm

It would be very helpful to my little project. Baseboard is in process.

Thanking you in advance.