Station off the mainline

Sol

Back on topic the map is of Shipley station which is along the lines of what OP asked for.

The top of the triangle is the Aire Valley Line heading from Leeds towards Skipton on onwards to the S&C.

Local services from Leeds to Skipton had to go towards Bradford then reverse into the Skipton platforms (shown as North curve). The locomotive the used to the triangle to run around its train.

Edit: for clarity

Screenshot_20191023-111145.png

Edited by Aire Head
Added clarity

1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

My better half whose from outside of God's own county insist that locals like me do this just to confuse people :spiteful:

Especially with places like 

Barnoldswick pronouced Barlick

Slaithwaithe pronouced Slough-it

Being as went to school nearby, I could always recon the last was pronounced Slawwit

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Back on topic the map is of Shipley station which is along the lines of what OP asked for.

The top of the triangle is the Aire Valley Line heading from Leeds towards Skipton on onwards to the S&C.

Local services from Leeds to Skipton had to go towards Bradford then reverse into the Skipton platforms (shown as North curve). The locomotive the used to the triangle to run around its train.

Edit: for clarity

Screenshot_20191023-111145.png

From the alignments you can see that the Eastern side was the original Leeds and Bradford railway. The other two sides, with the very sharp curvesl, were added when The Leeds and Bradford extension railway was built to Colne via Skipton.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Keighley shed has always interested me as to date I haven't found what exactly was kept there (the allocations I have found always just show Manningham) however I am pretty sure this was also a subshed for the aforementioned. Most likely for the Worth Valley Line and local services. Keighley did also have extensive goods facilities so the need for a pilot locomotive seems to be apparent.

May not fit in with your time line, but Keighley sightings here : https://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/01/bradford-manningham-1954-1963.html

Scroll down for Keighley

Regards

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

For weird operation you couldn't beat Scarborough, trains on the coast line ran past the terminus and reversed in, then the engine ran round and reversed out again before heading back up the coast.  It would have turned a GWR servant's hair white.

1 hour ago, DavidCBroad said:

For weird operation you couldn't beat Scarborough, trains on the coast line ran past the terminus and reversed in, then the engine ran round and reversed out again before heading back up the coast.  It would have turned a GWR servant's hair white.

Prototype for all those Dublo/Triang/Freezer track plans with a terminus inside an oval main line on an 8x4 :D