Tyne & Wear Metro units

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember years ago that with the extension of the T&W Metro to Sunderland, and as the units were running over BR track, they were supposedly given a TOPS code.  Does anyone actually know if this happened or was it just quietly forgotten about?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, everything that moves on the National Network has to have a number issued by the Rolling Stock Library. As Brack says, the Tyne & Wear units are allocated Class 994, by adding 99 before their T&W number, although to the best of my knowledge, these have never been carried.

Rich

• Like 1

On the subject of these units, does anyone know if any replacements are planned? The original cars are knocking on 40 years old now, which isn't a bad innings, even for EMUs, which tend to be quite long lived as a species. 

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Questions are being asked

Yes, but mostly by the mayor of Teesside, who is nothing to do with any of this and is just making his mouth go for publicity - it's nothing to do with him as neither the metro nor hitachi are within his constituency.

Metro bosses have been quite clear that awarding the contract to a supplier who is not the best value would be illegal and they're following the procurement rules. It'd be nice if Hitachi could supply them, but unless they can tender a better price at comparable quality than the others I dont see how or why it should happen.

43 minutes ago, brack said:

Yes, but mostly by the mayor of Teesside, who is nothing to do with any of this and is just making his mouth go for publicity - it's nothing to do with him as neither the metro nor hitachi are within his constituency.

Metro bosses have been quite clear that awarding the contract to a supplier who is not the best value would be illegal and they're following the procurement rules. It'd be nice if Hitachi could supply them, but unless they can tender a better price at comparable quality than the others I dont see how or why it should happen.

Oh, it's not just the Mayor of Teesside who is asking questions - but as Metro is part of Nexus, well...

The whole thing is like a Brian Rix farce - but without the humour :(

5 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

On the subject of TOPS numbering. The Welsh Highland/Ffestiniog where rumoured to have 99 xxxx series as they crossed the Cambrian on the level at Portmadog. A total distance of 4ft 8 1/2ins. 

Keith 

98xxx surely for most of the fleet?

Reminds me of a story concerning Manchester Metrolink tramway in its early days. 

Their maintenance train needed to run on BR tracks, so BR asked for the vehicle numbers. Apparently the diesel loco was identified as "the loco" and the wagon was known as "the wagon"...... Not sure how this was resolved, though.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, EddieK said:

Reminds me of a story concerning Manchester Metrolink tramway in its early days. 

Their maintenance train needed to run on BR tracks, so BR asked for the vehicle numbers. Apparently the diesel loco was identified as "the loco" and the wagon was known as "the wagon"...... Not sure how this was resolved, though.

I wonder how that’s sorted with the London Underground as it runs over Network Rail tracks.  Metropolitan north of Harrow on the Hill, Bakerloo north of Queens Park and District Turnham Green to Richmond and Putney to Wimbledon?