OO or N

DadPad

• RMweb Gold

What you need to do on curves is add a bit of super elevation. You add a little packing to the outer rail so that it introduces a bit of banking, like motor racing ovals, eg. Indianapolis or Daytona. Just a bit mind 1-1.5mm tops. It totally legit they do it on the real thing. Looks fab too.

Regards Lez.

Hi,

I won't be passing judgement on anything you choose, that would just make it my layout! Consider carefully what you want and have fun building it. Also think how you will control it and operate the points.  My only thought with the plan above is , Where do I keep my locos and stock? Perhaps if you added one more point to a cassette storage system at one side of the scene you cold have a simple storage system. As your stock grows you can make more cassettes as required, also provides an easy storage system for your stock when the layout is not in use.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comments regarding n gauge tolerating

a certain amount of 'rough' handling.

I'm still in the planning stage but I'm collecting

locos, rolling stock etc. and I've managed to wreck

the motion on one tank engine already.

5-6 year olds are obviously more careful

than 65-66 year olds, (or is it just me) !!!

• RMweb Gold

Well they have smaller fingers for one thing so I guess they are less likely to grab a loco by the working parts. I also think that youngsters are more drawn towards moden image as it tends to have more of a variety of colourful liveries than with steamers. Let's be honest 00 stock can be fragile as well.  

Regards Lez.

On 02/10/2019 at 17:47, DadPad said:

I saw this on an thread today when I was doing some browsing and really like the look of this as it contains nearly everything we are after.

Thoughts welcome

F0687A50-27DC-4770-AC9A-AD1FF9E27997.png

Ultimately it is up to you and what you want.  What boxes to you want to tick?  For me the issue with that plan would be the gradients as the red line seems to rise on a gradient to cross a road and the access to the blue goods yard and then falls back.  I built something similar in 00 on a 6' x 4' baseboard in my teenage years and haven't been tempted to use gradients again, as the combination of a relatively steep gradient (something like 1:30) and a curve (it was probably first radius) meant that any train with more than two coaches seemed to struggle.   As that looks like a 00 plan, there would obviously be scope to elongate the track plan if you are working in N and that should mean less severe gradients and also a proportionately greater radius.  As I don't work in N, I can't comment on the haulage capabilities of N gauge locomotives on gradients.  Can anyone else advise on that aspect.