Joseph's building a fictional Lanky Class 28 Mogul

I have been planing this Class 28 project for over a year. My intention is to build a fictional class 28 mogul that was designed but never made. I am using this 3D printed model by @Knuckles and modifying  a E4 chassis to drive the model after my original intention of using a tender driven 4F went wrong. I haven't finished it nor am really close to finishing right now but i wanted to start a thread for it to show my progress and maybe get advice on some things about it.

20 hours ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

You possibly could do that but I'm not sure what you would need to do to make it fit. I wouldn't mind other's showing off their splendid engines.

DSC09762.JPG.1b3182fc1cde3017a4568dcea4db30b9.JPGDSC09764.JPG.b6621aa3806ee1d56fae93f167a75892.JPG

Here are the improvements made to the Hornby James model with the modified Bachmann Midland 3F chassis. There is still a bit more work needed, but for the time being, it runs reasonably well and smoother, too. Notice the details and revisions made to the model such as handrails, whistle mounted on cab and cab interior (not shown).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

School has put this project on hold for a bit but I will update this once I have time to work on it and get a nice drill set to open the boiler and clear space on the chassis. In the meantime I'm planing on how I shall build the L&YR Atlantic. It will most likely involve me making my own chassis and general shape of the loco unless I'm able to find the millholme kit on ebay for international shipping, someone announces a rtr model, or if a 3d printable version of it becomes available. 

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

I've given it a 3rd coat and picked out some details on the model. I attempted painting the cab but it didn't go that well so I'll probably repaint the cab. Need to touch up a few spots where the gold got on the black but I don't think it looks too bad now. I'll need to get a few tools to attach the chassis and get the tender and wheels before this project is close to done.

Class 29.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 03:27, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

The 0-4-0 I mentioned before has been cleaned up and finally repainted. Needs another coat and then some black coats on the roof and smokebox. He looks pretty neat right now. 

0-4-0 red.jpg

Ah, yes - the shunting loco has been in production by Hornby for years. I found a BR lined black one and that was a perfect choice for an LNWR version which I did as a renumbering test.

And yes, I hope your model of the Class 28 Mogul will soon be finished.

• 2 months later...

So I've got good news and bad news. Good news is I have gotten the class 28 shell to fit on the E4 chassis. Bad news is that I accidentally blew out the motor in an attempt at testing it. So I am going to order a replacement from Bachmann and hopefully I will get this project rolling along.

Edit: pic here

class 29 front.jpg

Edited by Joseph the L&YR lover
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/04/2020 at 07:09, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

So I've got good news and bad news. Good news is I have gotten the class 28 shell to fit on the E4 chassis. Bad news is that I accidentally blew out the motor in an attempt at testing it. So I am going to order a replacement from Bachmann and hopefully I will get this project rolling along.

Edit: pic here

class 29 front.jpg

Well, it's good that you finally got back on track (pun somewhat intended) with this project! I'm so sorry to hear about the motor, I've had similar experience with it myself on more than on occassion. However, I hope you finally finish this model and get it up-and-running, fully-detailed and fully-lined and liveried (mind you, it does remind me of some Furness Railway rebuilt D5s).

As a modeller, I am deeply fascinated by Pre-Grouping locomotives from 1870 to 1920 and this has to be one of them.