OO Gauge 21

Hi,

Are there any known kits produced that represent the early Hornsey/Stratford based Class 21's in OO gauge? I'm after one for my 1960 eastern based layout. However it's looking more likely I will have to wait for one of the big manufacturers to produce one, along with an original Baby Deltic (looking more likely now thanks to Heljan).

Cheers

Best bet until a RTR offering appears is probably a conversion of a 2nd-hand Hornby NBL class 29. A1 Models do some of the bits you'll need (roof grilles, correct pattern cab front window frames - see http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/a1-models-class-21-22-29-parts-19164-0.html ), main task is to remove the headcode box and substitute disc codes instead; the bodyside grilles are fortunately correct for a 21 (but not a 29!!) so the potentially biggest job is accounted for thanks to a mistake on Margate's part. Despite the age of the model the bogie frame mouldings are reckoned to be pretty good.

David

Best bet until a RTR offering appears is probably a conversion of a 2nd-hand Hornby NBL class 29. A1 Models do some of the bits you'll need (roof grilles, correct pattern cab front window frames - see http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/a1-models-class-21-22-29-parts-19164-0.html ), main task is to remove the headcode box and substitute disc codes instead; the bodyside grilles are fortunately correct for a 21 (but not a 29!!) so the potentially biggest job is accounted for thanks to a mistake on Margate's part. Despite the age of the model the bogie frame mouldings are reckoned to be pretty good.

David

Not entirely correct unfortunately. The two piece side grilles that Hornby depict were only on the first few (no numbers immediately to hand sorry) and were soon modified to the one piece grille which appears to cover a smaller area. A photo that I have of D6101 shows that it had been changed by October 1959. So, unless you're modelling an early loco in its first few months you'll need to modify the grilles as well.

Rob.

Not entirely correct unfortunately. The two piece side grilles that Hornby depict were only on the first few (no numbers immediately to hand sorry) and were soon modified to the one piece grille which appears to cover a smaller area. A photo that I have of D6101 shows that it had been changed by October 1959. So, unless you're modelling an early loco in its first few months you'll need to modify the grilles as well.

Rob.

Sorry about that - for some reason I had it in mind that all of the class had the Hornby style of grilles prior to being re-engined with Paxmans. Oops.

David

Sorry about that - for some reason I had it in mind that all of the class had the Hornby style of grilles prior to being re-engined with Paxmans. Oops.

David

Hi David.

I know where you're coming from! This is rather a confusing family of locos (especially if you include the hydraulic 22s). It wasn't until I looked at my references that I remembered there was also an extra pair of grilles that replaced a window on the class 29 conversions. I'm glad I looked first because I had also thought that the 21s were fitted with headcode boxes later on too (and was going to claim that as fact!) but it would appear I was thinking of the 22s.

This really does go to show how much of a mongrel the original Hornby body actually is.

However I am digressing from our friends original enquiry...

Regards,

Rob.

Hmm I think i'll wait for an RTR version, I haven't got the skills to go filing away body parts, it'll end up looking like a bag of nails. But after hearing Heljan will now also be releasing a class 28 I have new hope.

Cheers Guys

Hmm I think i'll wait for an RTR version, I haven't got the skills to go filing away body parts, it'll end up looking like a bag of nails. But after hearing Heljan will now also be releasing a class 28 I have new hope.

Cheers Guys

I think you're right to be optimistic - there seems more modelling potential; the 21/29 family was a much bigger class, and for a good few years made a significant contribution (although admittedly not so well-known as the 26s and 27s) to ScR diesel operations, even if the reliability was patchy. They could be seen singly on West Highland services or in tandem on Glasgow-Aberdeen expresses (until their poor reliability brought ex-LNER steam into the equation on that route), to name two very different examples.

David

Archived