Airbrush Upgrade

Before I start spraying anything on my new layout, I have decided to consider upgrading from my current Badger 200.

I will need it for weathering, particularly the track.

I have lots of stock to be resprayed in the future so the ability to spray large areas will be useful. I can keep the Badger if it will still be useful for this.

I don't want to get one which is not really up to the task then regret it.

I have been looking around & have narrowed my choice to 4:

SIMair SP35

DevilbBiss Dagr

Paasche VJR1

Paasche Talon

The Talon is single-action. I am currently used to this, but would I regret not getting a dual-action brush?

The VJR1 is dual-action but the cup only holds 0.5ml. This sounds like a drawback to me.

Both Paasche brushes have a smaller nozzle (0.25mm) than the others. Am I likely to appreciate this?

Of the others, the DevilBiss is more expensive, has a larger cup & looks very well made.

Comments, suggestions & alternatives welcome.

That never showed up in my searches yesterday. Looks like the advantage over the DevilBiss is that the simair also has a suction feed. Do you use this?

Very much so. You can buy loads of suction bottles to store paint as well. Standard suction jars, available at John Dutfield, also fit. You can tip in an entire tin of Humbrol enamel, plus an equal amount of white spirit, and you're good to go for weathering. A tin of thinned enamel will weather a lot of stock.

They vary in price from about £120 to £160, depending where you look.

http://www.refuelled.com/simair-xl2000-airbrush-p-2287.html

I use a Badger 150 fitted with the medium head. It's a good general purpose double action brush. It's been recommended by a number of the professional painters in books etc.

One advantage I've found with Badger is spares etc. seem to be readily available

Jeremy

I would recommend that you call the good people at "The Airbrush Company" and hear what they have to say in the matter. I wouldn´t recommend any of the Airbrushes on your shortlist. A good rule is that an allround Airbrush for general hobby use should have the following features:

¤ Top feed, to avoid having to use excessively high air pressure and thin paints.

¤ Adjustable air regulator on the Airbrush.

¤ Easily removable needle (without having to remove the handle).

¤ Needles from 0.2 - 0.5 mm that doesn´t cost an arm and a leg.

¤ Teflon sealed, NO O-rings!

This is my recommendations that I have come up with after working proffessionally with Airbrushes for almost 20 years.

Good luck!

I would recommend that you call the good people at "The Airbrush Company" and hear what they have to say in the matter. I wouldn´t recommend any of the Airbrushes on your shortlist. A good rule is that an allround Airbrush for general hobby use should have the following features:

¤ Top feed, to avoid having to use excessively high air pressure and thin paints.

¤ Adjustable air regulator on the Airbrush.

¤ Easily removable needle (without having to remove the handle).

¤ Needles from 0.2 - 0.5 mm that doesn´t cost an arm and a leg.

¤ Teflon sealed, NO O-rings!

This is my recommendations that I have come up with after working proffessionally with Airbrushes for almost 20 years.

Good luck!

Thanks for the recommended requirements. It has taken my search in a new direction.

Archived