Loksound V4 running on DC

Derails Models

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

A quick one from me. Looking into fitting my own Bachmann 25 with a SWD Loksound V4 chip, got a couple of questions - the loco is used on other DC layouts as well as a DCC one, will this chip operate on DC? Does the sound operate on DC too? I actually don't want it too (it'll be out of place and sound quite strange), but if it does is there a way of switching it off?

The second, slightly less important question surrounds the brake function - I have the new Bachmann 03 which has an active braking function on F2 which I quite like, it really adds to the shunting experience if you can actually use the throttle and brake as you would in a real loco. I understand the SWD chips have the same thing, is this correct?

Please excuse my DCC sound inexperience, you'd think I know a little more about it by now, with my career choice...!

Cheers,

Lil' Dan

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

If you haven’t bought the decoder yet go for legomanbiffo, it sounds better, it definitely works on DC and it definitely has a brake (on F5)

Richard

Hi Richard - that's handy to know, thank-you! I haven't bought the chip yet, SWD was recommended to me by a customer, so it's good to get some other recommendation too. 

Does the sound operate on DC too?

Edited by Derails Models

The basic engine sounds will operate on DC and I don't think that there is a way to turn it off.  When driving on DC, the locomotive will also drive like a DCC Sound  locomotive.  That is, when you turn up the voltage on the DC controller it will take a while for the locomotive to respond.  You'll need to crank the power up to something like 7 Volts to power up the chip and then the engine sounds will kick in before it starts to accelerate at the end of the startup cycle at whatever acceleration settings have been set up on the chip when it's running on a DCC layout.  Therefore, if you simply turn the DC controller to full, the locomotive won't accelerate as it would do without a chip fitted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derails Models said:

Hi guys,

A quick one from me. Looking into fitting my own Bachmann 25 with a SWD Loksound V4 chip, got a couple of questions - the loco is used on other DC layouts as well as a DCC one, will this chip operate on DC? Does the sound operate on DC too? I actually don't want it too (it'll be out of place and sound quite strange), but if it does is there a way of switching it off?

Cheers,

Lil' Dan

I'm pretty sure you can program it not to have sound when on DC.

I would have to look into that and it may need a CV change or specified not to have sound when on DC when you order the decoder.(I think you may already have the decoder if its a V4)

Wiggy.

• Thanks 1

On both V4 and V5 you can determine which functions are active in analogue mode, for F0 to F15.

Example: CV 13 & 14 both zero = nothing happens.

Only CV 13 = 1 = F1 always on (which is in most cases the engine sound)

Only CV14 = 1 = F0 always on (usually front lights)

This works on each ESU decoder.

Wolf

• Thanks 1